Chapter Nine

"I swear to God, this is driving me crazy!" I hear Chris screaming so loud, I believe everyone heard him.

I have no idea who he's talking to, but he's been mad for a while, and I get the feeling this is more serious than usual. He's been acting tense like he's on alert all the time, and I want to know why.

I listen to him talking, as he shuts his room's door across from mine so hard, I wouldn't be surprised if it breaks. As he does that, I get up and go towards my door, hoping to hear what he's talking about. Good thing he doesn't know how thin these walls are.

"No, you jackass, you don't get it." he continues talking to his phone, trying to not shout anymore. "Tyler is gonna get back very soon, and I'm going to be dead. We all are."

Who's Tyler? I never heard him talking about him until now. My curiosity has been through the roof ever since I've got here, and there's more to unravel than I thought. Problem is, I can't get Chris to talk, no matter how much I try; except for now.

He pauses for a second, I believe in order to listen to the other person talking, before he continues. "I was supposed to make her leave, you know?! But I swear the girl didn't budge one bit."

I can smell the paint on the door as I try to understand Chris's muffles, every other noise non existing. I keep wondering who this "girl" is, and the only name that comes through my mind is Anne.

What does she have to do with this and why does Chris want her gone? Instead of getting answers I just get more questions.

"What do you mean by next month?! He was supposed to be free at the end of the school year!" he shouts this time. He's terrified, I can hear it in the way his voice is shaking. I never saw or even heard Chris being scared.

"Fine, I'll see what I can do. You just keep me updated, bye." He hangs up, and storms out of his room, shouting a quick I have to go somewhere while going down the stairs, his heavy steps being as loud and upset as his voice sounded.

I don't even know what I'm supposed to do now. He's gone, no one's in this house, and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed over the weird pressure that suffocates me. It's a weird reaction, but I think stress has been something on a regular dose by now; probably caused by my sleep struggles.

Everything seems to be getting worse. I've seen my psychiatrist just like usual, but she refuses to change my dose after changing it two times. She keeps saying I need to solve issues instead of my sleep, and I think that's bullshit.

Regardless, I impulsively take my phone from my bed and go on my chat with Anne, deeply thinking about what I'm going to do. I've been texting with her more recently, since she got really sick after the day we met, and I've been keeping her updated with school related stuff.

I don't like hitting around the bush, and I feel like I've been doing that for a while. Deep down, I know that Anne has something to do with Chris and maybe with Tyler, and I have the feeling that this is not going to end good neither for my cousin nor for her if I don't intervene somehow. I won't be able to do anything if no one's going to tell me something.

Do you know someone called Tyler? I text Anne. It's extremely out of blue, but since she stopped coming to school because of her sickness, Chris has been acting weirder than usual.

Everything draws back to Tyler. I stare at my plain ceiling as I wait for her message. This room feels claustrophobic sometimes, always at moments of tension. As I continue watching the paint on the walls, I sense the phone vibrating on the phone.

I pick it up, hand shaking, which brings me to question my body reactions, but I ignore them as I unlock the phone and see Annes reply. The blue light blinds my eyes in the darkness surrounding me.

Yes.

It's everything she says before starting to type. I can feel her indecisiveness and insecurity as she starts and stops texting a few times before continuing.

How do you know him?

Understandable question. I start typing, my hands still as shaky as before.

I don't. How do you know him?

There's obvious hesitance from her side. There's not really a way for us to avoid the subject now that I asked her, and I know she'll answer my question in one way or another, especially because I'm indirectly involved now.

It's a long story.

Her reply is fast and short. I raise one brow as I get more curious. My fingers type faster than I can think of words.

I have time.

I have way too much time. Before I can even think further of the question, I see her name popping on my phone as a caller. She's calling me; that was unexpected.

I press the green button, putting my phone to my ear. "Can you talk?" I smile at the question, the answer being obvious.

"Yes, why are you whispering?" I ask back, as her voice is hard to hear. "Because I can't talk, but I need to know how you know about Tyler. It's very important." she says, sounding more confident than usual. She seems rushed, so I don't hesitate responding.

"I heard Chris saying his name. Who's Tyler?" we exchange questions on turbo mode. I don't think we can get far since she can't actually talk, yet she called me.

She thinks whether or not to answer, I can hear her breathing quickening as she's thinking. There's no going back from this.

"Erik, I really can't talk, but stuff happened last year. Really bad stuff, and Tyler was involved in all of this." she says rapidly, as if scared to pronounce his name in addition to these events.

The question still lies unresolved. What happened last year? And why does everyone seem involved, especially Chris and Anne?

"Can we meet?" I ask instead of pressuring her with the same question. She obviously seems busy and now stressed as well. If we meet, there's no pressure of rushing. I don't think this subject needs to be said like this. She deserves better circumstances.

"In one hour if you can get to the park next to my house." she replies relieved. I agree to her suggestion, both hanging up after a quick 'bye'. Her house is thirty minutes away from my place, so I have to rush, in case the traffic's bad. I should ride a bike again, those were faster.

I get down the stairs taking my keys as I see Chris entering the floor.

"Where are you going?" he asks, confused. He seems calmer than before he left and slightly drunk.

I stop for a second not knowing what to answer. I thought he would come way later, not noticing if I'm gone.

"I wanna go buy something. Gotta go." I head towards the door as he physically stops me, putting one of his hands on my shoulder.

"Perfect, I needed ice cream." he laughs. "Give me a second and I can come with you." he smirks. His eyes are seeing the way my body tenses when he talks.

I swear to god he's sometimes too smart for his own good. I put my left hand on his shoulder as I shove his hand off me with the other. I squeeze his shoulder firmly in order to know I'm not joking.

"Chris, I said I will go out. There's no you in it." I look at him intently, making sure he feels the way I'm physically stronger than him. I hate when he pushes my limits of patience with his stupid comments, and the way he knew I was lying. Regardless, I'm in control of the situation.

Chris smiles, his jaw clenching and his blonde hair covering his eyes slightly as he says. "Sure little cousin." he nods. "Go ahead, who am I to stop you?" he continues before shoving his shoulder against mine, trying to annoy me.

I don't care enough to tell him something as I close the door behind me, heading towards my car.