The Mixes Short Story #2: Amy's Girls

"Queen Idina, it is time to use the potion." the seer said.

"Are you sure, Amy?" the queen asked.

Amy, the seer, nodded. "The time has come. Trust me."

After the rest of the Mixes and magic people living on earth had taken the forgetfulness potion, the leader gifted Amy a special potion that would give magical abilities. There were only five doses, but there would always be five with abilities; if one was compromised, the abilities would find a new holder. Amy clutched the potion in her hand. "Trust me," she repeated. "I know the perfect people."

Amy closed her eyes and recalled what had happened two years ago. Noah had buried Susan and Ellie, but one of the other Mixes had quickly dug up Susan's grave and pulled the girl's body out. With a potion created by Zach himself using his own abilities and the last of her own magic, she had healed Susan and brought her back to life, but as a shadow of her former self, with none of her previous magic. The Mix had brought Susan, still half dead, to Amy's doorstep a few days later, and the Mix had died. Amy had barely known this Mix, but she had still mourned her and buried her properly. Then she had turned her attention to Susan. Using all the knowledge she still had, and the final potions that the leader had given her, she had healed the girl.

Susan's appearance had changed, and Amy barely knew who she was. But she had renamed the girl Sunny and found her a new home.

Amy watched from the bleachers as Emma and Stella met each other. Amy smiled to herself. Everything was working out perfectly. She slipped a bit of the potion into each girl's water bottle and then went to find the other three girls.

Since they had formerly held magic, Stella, Emma, and Sunny were obvious choices for Amy. But she had scouted the other girls for hours before she chose Becca and Lilly, two intelligent, strong girls who already had connections to the other three. After she had slipped the potion into their water bottles, Amy silently slipped away. Amy secretly hoped that her girls would one day remember everything and return to her.