The Mixes Short Story #3: The King's Plans

A month before Spikefest...

The king smiled to himself. His plan was working. His followers, the people that the humans called shades, had almost completely overwhelmed the world ruled by Queen Idina. They had been assisted by the monsters from this world before, the werewolves and vampires. His plan was almost complete. That seer woman, the Queen's loyal friend, had used her magic to prolong his plans, but now they were coming to fruition, and there was nothing they could do about it. He contacted the general in charge of the attack. "You're doing excellent. Keep up the good work, and we'll see about another promotion."

"Thank you, sir. I'll have this queen defeated in no time."

Noah sat on a bed in his dark room. He had barely moved from his room other than to train in two years. He couldn't remember his past, but he felt immense sadness every time he thought about it. He picked up his notebook and opened it. He had begun sketching, but the image that always rose up was a girl's face. Noah had no idea who the girl was and was too scared to show his father. After all, he was a loyal follower, and his father had plans for him. There was a knock at his door, and Kalyn walked in, a snake wrapped around her shoulders.

"Did you hear?" she asked, sitting on his bed.

Noah quickly hid the notebook. "Hear what?"

"Queen Idina called five human girls to help her," she scoffed. "Useless, all of them. Apparently, she used a bit of a magic potion given to her long ago to give them magical abilities in hopes that it would let them defeat our 'shades.'" Kalyn made air quotes around the word, rolling her eyes. "I don't know how clever they think they are with that name. Just because we come from another world and look like shadows. Honestly, people. So stupid. But that's unrelated. Anyway, Dad made it so that our people could only be defeated if they somehow killed the Master, and he's undefeatable."

Noah shrugged. He didn't care much for what was going on with the others of his people. He knew his father had much bigger plans than defeating a world that was falling apart anyway. He closed his eyes and laid back on his bed.

"Are you even listening?" Kalyn asked.

Suddenly Noah realized something. "Kalyn, do you know what happened before we lived here? With me? Because I don't remember."

Kalyn frowned as she tried to think and then shook her head. "No. Why?"

Noah sighed. "No reason."

Noah was sitting on his bed, staring into blank space, when his father barged into the room. "They defeated him. How could they have defeated him?"

"What happened?" Noah asked.

"My Master general was killed by a couple of humans," King said. "Five girls called Becca, Sunny, Lilly, Emma, and Stella. What kind of names are those?"

"Stella?" Noah asked, and he nodded. Noah frowned. He had a feeling he had heard that name before.

"I'm sending Kalyn into the human world to destroy them as soon as I can create a portal."

"Kalyn? Are you sure?" Noah asked.

King nodded. "She's very powerful. She's had years to practice. Looking at the calendar, there is another volleyball tournament. Stella, Emma, and Lilly will all be in the same building. Kalyn can teleport in and use her abilities to destroy them. After those ones are taken care of, the other two will be no problem, and you and I will be free to take over both worlds."

Noah nodded absently.

"You're with me on this, right?" King questioned.

Noah nodded and bowed.

"Good," King said as he walked out of the room.

A month later...

Kalyn stepped into Noah's room. "Goodbye," she said.

Noah looked up. "You're leaving already?"

"Yes." Kalyn replied.

"Be careful," Noah told her. "Please. I don't want to lose you."

"I'm the most powerful shade here," Kalyn laughed. She had taken to the name the humans had given them and now used it a lot jokingly. "Much more powerful than you or Dad. I can take over this entire world by myself." She turned on her heel and left the room.

A few hours later...

"Your sister failed," King said. "And I've lost my connection with her. Those girls have succeeded again." He placed a hand on Noah's shoulder, and Noah felt the anger coming from his father. "We will not fail the next time. We will aim for the girls directly. I'm counting on you."