𝘁𝘄𝗼. volunteering as tribute

002

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

002. volunteering as tribute
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

THIS REAPING DAY WAS DIFFERENT THAN NORMAL. All the people within Esther's district seemed more relaxed, not having the paralysing fear of being chosen as they were sure they couldn't be. It was only victors that would have to participate in the games this year. Mags, Annie and Esther stood on one side where the females were aligned, whereas Finnick stood on the other side.

         Despite everyone else being more calm than any other reaping day, Esther was more nervous and afraid than ever. She knew what she had to do. Esther was going to play in her second game, whether it was her name being called upon or not. Esther hadn't slept the night before, cleverly thinking out a plan on what she should do.

         After so much consideration, Esther made the hardest decision she thought she had to make in her life. Mags and Annie were both in no condition to participate in the Hunger Games, especially now that they'd be challenged against other victors—people skilled in the manner of killing. Esther was going to volunteer. No matter what name popped out, Esther was the female victor of District 4 to be participating in the 75th annual Hunger Games.

         She hadn't told anyone about her decisionnot even Finnick knew. Maybe it was that Esther cared too much about people, which was a horrible thing to have when it came to the games, but it is one of Esther's most admirable traits.

         Mags was too much of a mother figure to her and Finnick for the blonde to allow the elderly woman to go into the games, and Annie could barely remember what she did from time to time. The mental anguish she developed from her games made her unable to play. Standing on the stage with Mags and Annie, everything that came down to this moment began to feel real, yet she wasn't overthinking her decisionshe was in full acceptance of what she had to do.

         The draw began, and Finnick was chosen first out of the male victors of District 4, causing Esther's breath to hitch. Finnick was nervous himself when a name from the ladies was grabbed, the time taking to unfold and read out the name being slow.

         "Annie Cresta." The redhead woman bubbled a cry from her name being loudly read out, but Esther had put her hand up, the words slipping past her as she met Finnick's shocked and worried expression.

         The blonde teenager took a deep breath, gripping onto Annie's hand tightly before calling out. "I volunteer as tribute." Esther didn't need to be told to stand in the front beside their escort, remembering the procedure taken when she went to her first games. Annie gazed at the girl with a shocked, teary expression. Esther just smiled, showcasing the warm feeling she had inside her stomach with being able to save the woman.