𝘀𝗶𝘅. the land of the living

006

006. the land of the living
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

                  THE GROUP MADE IT AWAY FROM THE CORNUCOPIA, STAYING INTACT. So far, there are no problems with the arrangements of their alliance, all coming together as a unit. Yet, the careers packDistricts 1 and 2seemed to have the same idea, sticking together, making them more lethal than they already were. Finnick stayed back, watching everyone in the front, keeping them in his sight, especially Esther.

         The blonde was in front of him, although not by much distance, being next to Atlas as they found a spot to crouch and get their breath back. The heat was exhausting to run with, sweat boring onto their foreheads and their breaths more ragged. "God, it's hot," Peeta vocalised, and Esther could only nod at the boy's words, her throat slightly stinging from the pressure previously added from the female tribute of District 10. "We got to find fresh water."

         Esther thought of the possibility of finding a water source through the forest they situated themselves in, internally groaning at the struggle it was going to be. Not only were they in need of water for their parched throats, but also a source of food, which Esther thought couldn't be as difficult as it would be to find fresh water. Nobody said anything as a reply to Peeta's words, their eyes moving to each other leisurely.

         Esther crouched next to Finnick, gazing at the man first before her eyes drifted to Atlas, who was seemingly stuck in deep thought. The blonde realised that she hadn't thanked him for his actions in saving her earlier today, knowing when Atlas said he could've left her for dead, he wasn't lying. Each time her eyes seemed to be glued on Atlas, her gut would shriek, following back to the words Atlas told her one night he caught her roaming the halls: Trust your gut.

         However, the group's attention was diverted to the sound of cannons filling the air around them. Esther closed her eyes as the third and final bang went off. She lost count of how many tributes already died, thankful she wasn't one of them yet, within the cornucopia. Once the Odair girl opened her eyes, she found the smile laced on Finnick's face, a chuckle daring to arise. "Well, I guess we're not holding hands anymore."

         Katniss raised her brows at the man's laugh, narrowing her eyes at Finnick. Esther could only watch with a shiver travelling down her spine at the sheer coldness writing in Katniss's expressionthe woman wouldn't have any sympathy when it came to killing Finnick when the time came to it. "You think that's funny?"

         Finnick immediately stopped with his chuckles, pointing to the sky where the cannons echoed. "Every time that cannon goes off, it's music to my ears," He paused, his line of sight peering at Esther before switching back to Katniss. "I don't care about any of them." Katniss nodded her head, muttering words that seemed distant in Esther's ears when she watched the woman unravel the machete she collected from the cornucopia, teasing pointing the tip of the blade towards her brother. "Want to face the career pack alone? What would Haymitch say?"