𝗳𝗶𝘃𝗲. calm before the storm

005

005. calm before the storm
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

TOSSING AND TURNING IN HER BEDSHEETS SEEMED ENDLESS FOR ESTHER. The teenage girl was doubtful she'd get any sleep despite it being the big day tomorrowthe reason Esther was so worked up. The games hadn't been put to a stop and Esther knew every tribute was angry, almost starving to get a taste of revenge. Although they came together in the interviews, holding hands as an uprise towards the game, Esther knew it would be different as soon as they stepped foot in that area, the tube they would be placed in tomorrow lifting.

Esther sat with her back against the headboard, not having the energy to place the duvet over her shaking frame. The blonde was more scared now than she was during her first games, realising the cost of her life was at stake, inevitably going to happen. Esther knew Finnick would protect her to the best of his ability, unsure about the sudden alliances the boy informed her of today with District 12's tributes.

Katniss seemed to be sure of herself, confident in her abilities in being able to survive the games alone with Peeta, whereas the male tribute was content with the arrangements of an alliance. Esther knew that the first chance they got, they'd leave them behind, not wanting to strike first—or, at least, the girl hoped would happen.

In her first games, Esther was more hesitant with the idea of forming allies, knowing that in the end, they'd be against each other, attempting to be the one who gets home. In Esther's favour, it had been her that got to return to her home surrounded by water. Yet, her home was the same, but she wasn't. Something changed in the blonde, a twisted feeling burying itself in her gut.

A knock at the door made Esther slightly flinch, her eyes quickly pointing to where the door slowly creaked open. The blonde hadn't realised how her body immediately tensed until she let out a breath, relief flooding through her system at the sight of her brother standing by the doorway, soft eyes meeting her solemn ones. "Couldn't sleep?" The boy asked, already knowing the answer. Despite the amount of makeup Esther had worn today to freshen up for the interview, Finnick saw the purple bags hanging under her eyes. Esther lightly shook her head, removing her eyes from Finnick.

Without a word being spoken, Finnick softly closed the door behind him, not making much noise as he sat on the edge of Esther's bed, analysing her body language. She was nervous, just as he was the samejust as they were when Esther participated in her first games. Finnick had been lucky he got to mentor Esther before going into the games, coming into her room and sleeping by her side the night before, doing the same in the presentsomething he never thought he'd have to do again.