𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗲𝗲. meeting the competition

003

003. meeting the competition
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

THE TRIBUTE PARADE HAD BEEN A SUCCESS. Esther remembered her first time having to be taken by a carriage, seeing President Snow in person when he wasn't coming to meet Finnick for the first was nerve-racking. However, this time around, her anxiety about the situation was more calm than two years ago as she had her brother standing next to her. As well as the sugar cubes Finnick sneakily had taken, giving some to Esther with a warm smile.

         The parade gave time for Esther to analyse the other tributes, although she stayed to herself, whereas Finnick went around, greeting the old friends he met through being a victor. Even with being a victor, Esther chose not to affiliate herself with other people, who were in the same boat as her ( being forced back into the games after winningalready being claimed as a victor ). She guessed it was the doubt and lack of trust she gained while being through her first games, not having a good idea of who was and wasn't trustworthy.

         However, she found herself being interested in the victors of last yearthe 74th-year winners: Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark. Their love story was the most known information about them, making them loveable to the crowds. However, Finnick didn't believe that it was real—he thought it was a play for the crowds to shine upon them, honouring them as sponsors. But Esther was hesitant in agreeing with Finnick because the girl wanted love not to just be an act, but something people can look for to hope.

         She was happy to see the infamous outfits of the District 12 tributes, Katniss and Peter, catch firethe thing Katniss was labelled after; 'The Girl On Fire'. But there wasn't enough time to relish in the sensation that was Katniss Everdeen. Instead, Esther was forced to focus on training and getting prepared for the individual assessments that would grant sponsors to the tributes.

         Walking into the training rooms, she thought she knew how skilled her opponents would be, but watching them train with their specialised skills caused any slight hope that Esther had that the possibility of making it out alive quickly fade. Despite believing she was to be killed at the games, would Esther change her decision to volunteer for Annie? No, she wouldn'tthe blonde wouldn't have changed her decision to help Annie and Mags, people Esther considered important in her life.

         The girl took this as her chance to analyse her competitors, including people Esther would consider allies. Johanna Mason was one of those allies. She had been friends with Finnick, introducing Esther, since she had won her gamesthe winner of the 71st annual Hunger Games. The blonde teenager watched the woman effortlessly swing around her axe, adding spins and tactical maneuvers in her attacks. Yet, she hastily spun where Esther was watching, feeling the set of eyes staring.