Meeting Madeline Usher

Warning: strong language.        

Sharon/Mare & Madeline/Mare

Mare PoV:

With a glass of champagne in hand, standing facing towards my companion Oren who was talking non-stop, I was in the perfect spot to be able to keep eyes on our suspect, Oren was telling me all about how he had gotten his role on the low rated TV show, which I had never heard of until we got this case, Oren wasn't a big enough star to get into one of these parties with all the Hollywood A-listers, Captain Raydor had to pull some serious strings to get him an invitation to this party with me as his plus one.

"Look I understand this isn't a real date, I'm happy to help, I was kinda hoping after you made your arrest or close your case or whatever, you would like totally go out with me?" Oren asked me, I almost choked on my champagne as panic set in, there was no way that was going to happen, not in a million years, besides my heart belongs to another, even those that person as no idea how I feel about them and would never feel the same way about me.

"Aww I think you two would TOTALLY make a cute couple," Lieutenant Sanchez came through into my hidden earpiece, I knew he was just being sarcastic.

"Somebody please shoot me," I said through gritted teeth into my microphone.

"No one is going to shoot you, until after we make an arrest," Captain Raydor dry sense of humour came through my earpiece, making my heart skip, yes Captain Sharon Raydor was the one who my heart belongs to.

"What was that?" Oren asked clearly he hadn't heard my little comment.

"I said sorry but you're not really my type," I tell him as I lock eyes with Detective Sykes, who was undercover as a waitress,, she was working the room with a tray of drinks for the guests, I look around the room myself at all the other undercover police men and women, some I know, others I don't,  needing to escape Oren I take a step in the direction of Detective Sykes, only to have Oren take a hold of my arm stopping me, I look down at his hand on my arm, not taking the hint he left his hand there.

"Why does almost every girl,,, sorry woman, I ask out always says I'm not they type?" Oren asked me with very sad looking puppy dog eyes, before I had a chance to answer, a woman's voice started speaking from behind me.

"Is everything alright?" pulling my arm out of Oren's hold, I turn around to see the one and only Madeline Usher standing behind me, looking at Oren with narrow eyes, Madeline Usher is one of the most powerful women in L.A if not all of America, not only had I read about her in magazines and newspapers, I had seem her on the news, her name had also popped up in a couple of police investigations however nothing has come of them, I personally have never investigated her, however police talk, most of the police force believe she is guilty and has enough money to buy her way out, can make people and evidence disappear, I personally believe innocent until proven guilty especially with somebody I have never met.

"Everything is fine, me and my girlfriend were just leaving," Oren says trying to take my arm again, only this time I was able to pull my arm away before he was able to take a-hold of it, my god I have met some really stupid people in my time, but Oren really takes the cake, he is your typical pretty boy stupid, easy on the eyes with nothing much going on upstairs, I mean doesn't he know who Madeline Usher is? She could most likely end his career with one phone call.

"Am not your girlfriend," I said placing one hand on my hip, I seriously cannot be dealing with Oren anymore I felt like I was losing braincells by just being around him.

"Would you care to dance?" Madeline asked offering me her hand, I knew I really shouldn't, since am here to work, however I just cannot handle spending another moment with Oren, drinking the rest of my champagne in one mouthful, I handed Oren my now empty glass before taking Madeline's hand without a second thought.