Chapter 2

Coriolanus did not think of  himself as a mentor. In fact, he had never even given the idea any thought. It seemed almost outrageous; to make newly graduates mentor people who will end up dead anyway. He deserved to win the Plinth Prize, it wasn't as if he were a cheater. Tigris tried to reassure him that everything would be fine, but how could she be so sure?

"We need the money," said the boy, straightening his homemade shirt.

"Yes... and if you don't get it, what can you do?" Tigris shrugged, patting him on the back, looking into his clouded eyes through the full length mirror.

"I'll find another way, if that's the case," he replied. He turned from his cousin and started to gather his belongings together. "Whatever it takes."

Tigris sighed. "Coryo, it will be alright."

Coriolanus flinched at his childhood nickname. He was a man now. A respectable one, at that.

"I'll win," he states. "Snow lands on top."

"Snow lands on top," Tigris repeated with a soft smile. She pinned a singular red rose from their grandmother on his vest, and kissed him on the cheek.

After a quick hug and a wave goodbye to his grandmother, he was out the door, trailing down the long hallways of their apartment building. He stepped out into the brisk air and headed toward the academy. Before entering, he ran his fingers through his light hair, checking his appearance in the reflection of a nearby pond. He took a deep breath and opened the large doors. His heels clacked noisily against the marble floors as he passed fellow students. He nodded to a few, though he hardly made much of an effort to make, or keep, many friends, so it's not as if he really knew them. He did have one friend, though.

That didn't matter much now. What mattered was winning.

Coriolanus took his respected spot next to his one friend in the Academy, Sejanus Plinth.

Plinth. His father was one of the richest, though not most liked, men in Panem. Winning this money would save Coriolanus and his family from eviction. It would pay off the university he planned on attending after graduation.

Coryo waved to Sejanus as his friend sat next to him. The dark haired boy smiled and waved back. The two spark up a conversation.

"Coriolanus, you're looking well," Sejanus remarked.

"If by well you mean exhausted, then I guess so," Coryo joked. The boys laughed before the room became silent.

Dr. Volumnia Gaul.

She was the Head Gamemaker, and quite a frightening sight. With wild salt and pepper hair, one piercing blue eye to contrast her dark one, and a gruesome sneer, she was not exactly a welcoming presence in Panem. And certainly not welcoming to any nervous student who wishes to win the money.

"Welcome, graduates," she starts. "I hope you are all prepared for the task ahead of you. The man or woman who takes on the roll of most successful mentor will win the Plinth Prize. Your whole career as a student has been leading up to this moment."

Yeah, right Coryo thought. They didn't even know about it until the day prior.

A girl a few rows over from Coriolanus raised her hand. "What would prove to be most successful?"

"Well, surely the person who's tribute wins," Coryo chimed in. And, when given a glare by Gaul, mumbled, "my apologies." He averted his gaze and chose to focus on a scuff in the floor.

"I suppose we shall see what a good mentor represents when the time comes," says Gaul.

"That doesn't seem very fair," Coriolanus interjected, again.

This time, Gaul was not looking at him. She was smiling to herself, her eyes glued to the podium. Soon, a low chuckle was heard growing from the front of the room. Then, the room grew quiet once more before Gaul spoke again.

"Mr. Snow, what are the games for?" She asked, this time looking straight at the trembling blond.

Coriolanus paused before answering. "To remind the districts of the war, and the mercy the Capitol is willing to give."

Gaul hummed in response. "And are these games always fair?"

"To an extent, I suppose..." Coryo mumbled. "But, no, not always. Life isn't truly fair all of the time."

Gaul laughed and nodded. "Good luck to the graduates, and may the odds be ever in your favor."

"the sun also rises on those who fail to call
my life, it comprises of losses and wins and fails and falls"