Chapter thirteen

Rose's P.O.V

May I have my story back now? Finally!
After mom left, everything that was supposed to go back to normal didn't. Dad didn't go back to Eileen. They broke up completely, but he also didn't go back to mom. Men can be really complicated sometimes. What they want is different than what they get, and the stupidest thing is that they undervalue themselves to get what they deserve. Well, some men take advantage of it in a way it only exists in nightmares, but the good ones let everything pass them until one day they turn into a woman's challenge.
Now, since we're at the start of a new life again, how about I reintroduce myself? I'm Rose, and I'm a happy, single lady.

"Dad," I run towards my dad, who is in his car getting his things ready to leave. "Can we talk?"

"Sure," he says and looks up at me. I look at his backseat, seeing him all packed. Is he going somewhere? He never told me or informed me about going anywhere.

"Where are you going?" I ask him. He smiles at me and inhales. "Dad?"

"I'm going home," he says with tears in his eyes. Home? As in to mom? Wait...
Damn, there goes my story again. Well, this was never my story, after all. Was it?

Rachel impatiently sits in the doctor's office and fiddles with her handbag in her lap. She sighs and starts looking around her to see what she can keep herself busy with. Eventually, she gets hold of the model on the desk of an ear. She looks at it and pokes her finger around on it. A frown forms on her face as she brings it closer to her nose to smell it.

"Right," the doctor walks back into the room. Rachel got such a scare that she nearly dropped the model. Quickly, she places it back in its place and looks at the doctor who looked worried at her. "Your blood results came back."

"Good. How long do I have to live?" Rachel asks, almost too excited to think of death. "Three years? A month? I'm okay with a week."

"You don't seem to be worried," the doctor mutters and takes a seat in front of her. "Gosh, how am I going to lay this off to you?"

"Well, I was drinking my liver away and doing some illegal things which won't surprise me if it boosted my expiry date," Rachel replies. The doctor is somehow surprised that she can look this serious and utter these ridiculous things. "Do I need a kidney? Are my kidneys fine? What's happening?"

"Rachel, are you sexually active?" She asks. Rachel looks up and tries to think. With a faint look, she sighs.

"Let me guess. I got an STD or something?"

"No, Rachel," she shakes her head and inhales deeply. "I have no idea how this is even humanly possible. We did everything right... now I'm afraid we failed somewhere."

"Failed? What do you mean?" Rachel asks and sits forward. "Are you saying that I'll be submitted into a... psychiatric ward or mental hospital? What did we do wrong?"

"For heaven's sake, Rachel. What has gotten into you?" Doctor Leigh laughs awkwardly, with tears in her eyes. "Or should we ask who?"

"I'm dying, aren't I?"

"No," she shakes her head. "No, Ray. You are pregnant."

"I'm what?" Rachel looks horrified at her doctor, not even smiling a little. Doctor Leigh nods her head slowly. "T...t...that is... that can't be... you know that... you've been my doctor all these years... and... I had a hysterectomy..."

"I know," Doctor Leigh says and grabs her hand. "I can only prepare you for the worse. Your age is against you, your health is a big concern, and I'm worried that this might lead to another miscarriage. Did you go for the check-up after the hysterectomy?"

"What check-up? I-I-I don't know of a check-up," Rachel stutters with tears in her eyes. "Oh gosh, you're being serious."

"You have two choices, Rachel. You end this now or take a chance, but I have to warn you. This might not end well for you or the baby," the doctor says and reaches forward to touch her shoulder. Rachel shakes her head as the tears start streaming down her cheeks. "Hey, it's okay. I know you've been through a lot, babe. The choice is all yours and I will respect what you say."

"I would've preferred to have a week life left," Rachel mutters and looks down. "Oh gosh, what do I do? Can I think about this first?"

"Yes. Take your time," Doctor Leigh says with a little smile. "Just make sure you know what you want. You have about a week to decide."

"A week is not enough," Rachel cries and covers her face with her hands. "What am I going to do? Garth is married, and I'm old. My daughter is supposed to be getting pregnant. Not me."

"I'm going to suggest that you stop drinking and using those illegal substances and also... you can't have sex, Rachel," she says, giving her a serious look.

"No sex at all?" Rachel asks and stops crying all of a sudden. "Not even... you know..."

"Not even," she replies and smiles. "Rachel, this is for the sake of the baby. If you have sex and you lose this child, I don't want you to feel responsible for the death of another baby. You are a high risk, so penetration will not be good for you or the pregnancy. Perhaps, when you're far along and a little more safe, we can reconsider it, but as long as you are at risk, you have to stop."

"It's not that I'm getting anyway," she rolls her eyes. Doctor Leigh laughs softly. She looks down at her tummy and smiles. "Should I tell my ex?"

"The father? Definitely," she nods and winks at her. Rachel inhales deeply and nods her head.