0.2

Amari ran full speed at her opponent knowing that any hesitation could cost her.  It was better to take the advantage rather than wait for it.  She slashed out with her right paw, her claws, though mangled, were deadly accurate.  They got so close to the panther that a piece of fur was sliced off.  She followed with her teeth hoping to latch onto the panther's neck. Again, the panther skirted away.  Again and again she attacked.  Again and again the panther evaded.  Amari took a second and realized that the panther was only playing defense.  They were not rabidly attacking like the other opponents she's had did.  It was then she saw that this panther was in good health.  Their midnight black fur was smooth and silky not matted and withered like hers.  The panther also stood slightly taller and bulkier, leading Amari to believe that the panther was male.   There were no marks marring his skin and he was barely out of breath while she was panting from exhaustion.   Amari took a deep breath and that's when the amazing smell of a rainy forest filled her nose.  Instinctually she knew that this panther in front of her was her mate. 

He had seemed to realized this before she did.  Her frenzied and panicked state had clouded her logical thinking.  Now Amari didn't know what to do.  She couldn't attack her mate.  She hadn't even met him yet.  But she would surely get severely punished, probably killed, if she didn't put on a show for the viewers.  They were already getting antsy at the lack of movement coming from either of the Cat shifters. 

While the conflict was going in Amari's head, all hell broke loose in the crowd.  The doors for the guests to enter were crashed through by all sorts of shifters and people alike.  Young leopards and cheetahs were ravaging the bleachers.  Older lions and cougars were heading to where the prisoners were at.  There were shifters attacking all of the greasy people that surrounded the arena. Their pain filled shouts turned Amari's attention to the commotion around her. She looked around, her eyes darting back and forth as her breathing picked up.  Her ears folded back on her head as her muscles bunched to run. 

"Hello there," a soft, deep voice spoke from Amari's side. 

The white tiger whipped her head around with a growl at whoever had managed to sneak up on her.  She quickly stopped growling at the tall man she saw.  He had dark brown hair and honey gold eyes. His face was sharp and his muscles were lean. His elegant hands were held up in a nonthreatening manner. He slowly kneeled in front of her pulling his light pink lips into a small smile. 

Amari cowered away from the man.  Her flight instinct being second nature after years and years of abuse.  But the man was patient.  He held still and maintained a calm smile.  The rest of the shouting and crashing around them faded away as their eyes locked.  Bright sapphire meeting honey gold for the first time.  Amari relaxed more than she ever had in her entire 200 years.  She relaxed so much so that she shifted back without realizing it. 

The man's eyes never left hers as he slowly took his jacket off and handed it to her. "My name is Tommy."