1.0

Amari was sitting in the window seat watching as the rain dripped down the glass.  She took in a deep breath trying to calm her nerves.  It was the first day of school.  Her muscles were almost shaking with anxiety.  Instead of focusing on her thoughts and getting lost in her head, she breathed in and out with each sway of the grass, something that her adopted father, Carlisle, taught her as a grounding technique.  She was so focused on the grass that she missed her mate, Tommy, stepping into the room.

"Love," Tommy spoke softly.

Amari startled so bad that she swung her fist around almost hitting the 17 year old boy in the head.  Luckily for Tommy, he knew the reaction that his mate was going to have and stepped away in time.

"Tommy, you know you can't sneak up on me."  Amari held her fisted hand to her chest which quickly rose and fell.

"I know that, love.  I'm sorry.  I came to make sure that you were ready to go."

Amari sighed and nodded her head.  Tommy could see the anxiety swimming in the girl's sapphire blue eyes and gently placed his arm around her shoulders.  She gratefully leaned her head against his chest as the walked to the garage.

The rest of the siblings were already in the cars waiting to go.  Rosalie started at Amari in worry as she and Tommy got into the backseat of her car.  Emmett, who sat in the passenger seat, started up a conversation with Tommy to try and calm the occupants of the car.

"Alice said that we're getting a new student today.  She seemed really excited about it actually."  Emmett's eyebrow furrowed in confusion.

"Did she say why she was so excited?"  Tommy asked as he rubbed his thumb across the back of Amari's hand.

All Emmett did was shake his head.

The rest of the ride was quiet.

For once, when the adopted siblings arrived at the Fork's High School parking lot, the attention was not all on them.  The entirety of the student body was focused on the new student, Isabella Swan.  Amari took the advantage and quickly ushered Tommy to their first class.  Her heart was racing and she did not want to be there longer than was needed.  Tommy simply waved to the rest of the Cullens and followed along.

Because of the new student, the first half of the day went by quickly.  Amari was a little calmer by the time that lunch rolled around.  Carlisle and Esme were able to make it so that Tommy and her had the same schedule.  The Cullen family new first hand the kind of issues that would arise if the either of the two shifters were ever separated from the other.

-1951 New York

Tommy was playing chess with Jasper in the living room.  Alice, Jasper, Amari, and he had just joined the Cullens the year prior.  Everyone had quickly warmed up to everyone except for Amari.  She was still distrustful of everyone accept for her mate, something that Tommy was trying to work on with her.  Edward was playing the piano in the corner and Esme was on the armchair reading.  Carlisle was at the local hospital working.  Tommy thought that Amari was in their room sketching in the window.  All of a sudden, he got a sharp pain in his chest.  Jasper, who was concentrated on the game, looked up in surprise at the sudden feeling coming from his friend.

"What's wrong?" Jasper asked quickly as he felt the pain getting worse.

"It's Amari," Tommy managed to choke out.  "Where is she?"

"Rosalie and Alice dragged her out of the house for some shopping," Esme placed her bookmark in her book and approached Tommy with motherly care.