5

''And I don't care what anyone says.'' Sasha had made a poor attempt to whisper as She and Poinsettia emerged from the side of the girls dorm. Bertholdt had walked upon the scene of Sasha heaving while Poinsettia ushered a canteen of water she'd fetched from one of the wells into her hand. Sasha gulped it down before tossing it aside and clapping her hands to Poinsettia's shoulders. She pulled them so that their faces were together. How the other kept her composure, Bertholdt wasn't sure. But he did realize this scene looked somewhat intimate.

''I never thought you acted like a spoiled brat!'' with that she threw her arms around Poinsettia brought her close in a hug that pressed them so tightly together the smaller girl struggled to breathe and break free. Though he could see even with dim lights and moonlight, she was smiling. wiping water from Sasha's face, she began cooing at her and reiterating that she needed to get to bed. Sasha protested and babbled while holding Poinsettia around her middle.

''Glad to see you made it back okay.'' Poinsettia turned to shoot Bertholdt a look from over her shoulder. Startled at first, but softened with a sarcastic grin followed by a dry chuckle.

''You're hilarious.''

''Oh look! Bertholdt's come to your rescue again!'' Sasha mused as she leaned into Poinsettia. Bertholdt was grateful neither one could see him blush red. He hadn't had time to mull over Sasha's comment as he was distracted by Poinsettia shushing her aggressively.

''You're going to get us all caught!'' she hissed. ''It's so weird, I don't remember her having that much to drink.'' Poinsettia held Sasha from under her arm and turned to Bertholdt with a small frown. ''I'm going to get her to bed, I'm not Going down for Ymir's shit. But thanks for coming to check on us.''

Oh, Well then this must've been goodnight. Not wanting to head back to the barracks, and certainly not wanting to head back to Reiner and the others, Bertholdt stood in place watching her back retreat before finally utilizing the liquid courage that coursed through his veins.

''H-hey. do you maybe wanna come back out to talk?'' She paused in surprise at the door. Sasha peered around Poinsettia's shoulder with a playful hand over her mouth.

''Oh, Daddy wants to talk to mommy alone?''

For a few minutes he felt as if she was going to turn him down. She went on to scold and shush Sasha again before turning to once again offer him a soft smile and a nod in agreement.

''You're pacing.''

It was only a few minutes. Maybe 10 with no sigh of Reiner and the others when Poinsettia emerged again. It wasn't a question but a statement.

''I-uh. Do that sometimes.'' He stammered around the quickening pace of his heart. ''How's Sasha.'' Poinsettia chuckled dryly.

''Out cold.'' She motioned for him to follow her to sit on the dorm steps to which he followed. she sat down pushing a breath past her lips, her night gown fluttering around her legs gently as she went to cross them. they looked smooth and in the dark her skin gave off a smooth chocolatey look.

Don't stare. Don't stare. He urged himself. But he couldn't help it. Maybe it was the fact that caring for Sasha had sobered her up because she wasn't acting drunk at all. She'd remained quite composed the whole night. He guessed that living In the interior meant she was accustomed to being around drunk people. He felt his heart rate quicken once more when her brown eyes met his.

''So, what did you wanna talk to me about?'' Bertholdt's eyes fell to his knees and like a child he began to distractingly pick at the wood on the steps, cursing that fleeting courage he'd just gathered not long before.