Chapter 1

Once upon a time there was a young cat who usually did his normal medicine cat duties, healing sick and wounded cats and collecting and storing herbs. Then, one completely normal day, as he was storing newly collected leaves, Yellowfeather heard a pebble roll. He watched it fall, roll down the hill, through the bushes and snow, and dropped into the Star Pond. That was a StarClan sign! But it meant... he needed to go to The Lake? Which lake? Whatever. Maybe it was just a pebble simply falling down. Little he knew about that pebble.

Yelowfeather didn't want to focus on it. But still...

His nervousness attracted another cat.

"Why are you so worried?" Asked Resistanceclaw.

"Uhm..." Yellowfeather hesitated.

"Come on!" Resistanceclaw hissed.

"It was a StarClan sign. They want me to visit a lake, and I don't know if it was just a pebble..."

"Never! Your Clan needs you." Resistanceclaw insisted.

"I guess you're right. It was just a pebble. Why did you come though?"

"I stepped on a thorn."

Resistanceclaw rose his paw to show a small black dot in the pad. Yellowfeather was ready to pull it out and put on the healing herbs.

But thoughts about the fallen pebble still bothered him.

"I'm a medicine cat. Medicine cats need to receive signs. But complete them..." Yellowfeather thought as he pulled out the thorn.

"Thanks!" Resistanceclaw meowed.

"You're welcome, that's what medicine cats do." Yellowfeather replied.

He was once again lonely in his den, listening to the yellowish grass rustling. Leafbare was coming. The Clan would once again need to go to their lower camp, and collect everything which could warm the nests.

How could he come somewhere if there would be nobody to help Heatherfur cure greencough if anybody in the clan gets sick, and walking in barren snowy valleys?

Then he heard another cat wake up. It was his old mentor, Heatherfur.

"Good morning, Yellowfeather!"

"Good morning."

Yellowfeather tensed as he saw Heatherfur carefully observe him.

"Is something bothering you, Yellowfeather?"

"It was a StarClan sign. They told me to go to the lake, but I don't know which one. Maybe it was just a pebble..."

Heatherfur blinked, thoughtfully looking at the ground, as if a lake would just appear out of nowhere.

"You know, pebbles don't simply drop into the Starpond. If StarClan said so, then it is your fate. Besides, you will be the first cat to see the land beyond the Mountain Thunderpath."

"Don't giant eagles fly there?"

"Those are kit tales. How could you still believe those?"

Embarrassed, Yellowfeather lowered his head to clean his chest fur.

"You should go, Yellowfeather. I will tell this to Stonestar, and he will select a few cats that might wish to join you."

"O-okay. What do I do now?"

"See, we have no more dandelions left..."