Chapter 2

"Wake up!"

A soft paw stirred Yellowfeather out of sleep, making him jump up and look around.

"Is anybody sick?"

The look in Lilypaw's eyes told him otherwise.

"No need to panic like that. The trip, remember? Stonestar had selected three cats to go with-"

Distractionpaw jumped inside the medicine den, his everlasting boredom and simplicity making him simply run around.

"Hi Yellowfeather! Want to hunt? I have found a hare burrow."

"I'm sorry, I have a-"

"There is enough prey to feed the Clan all the way through Leafbare!"

"Distra-"

"Please?"

"I'm sorry Distractionpaw, but there are a lot of warriors who can help you, and I have a trip to go."

Distractionpaw gave him a look of sadness, and, was it, anger?

When the Clan Gathering was called, cats watched Yellowfeather so tirelessly that he felt like looks could really sizzle his pelt.

"Silence, EagleClan. We have an important announcement."

Stonestar heard the chatter calm down, cats moving their focus to the gray leader sitting on the equally gray boulder, his pelt gleaming with morning sunlight.

"Yellowfeather received a sign from StarClan, which meant our warrior ancestors want him to go to The Lake."

Cats let curiosity overcome them, covering their leader in questions.

"Which lake?"

"We need two medicine cats!"

"Why him? Oh poor Yellowfeather!"

The last one was Victimheart, her running around Yellowfeather telling him how bad things were and how dangerous the trip was.

Stonestar's eyes were like a raging green fire, and if looks could destroy, the camp would already be in ruins.

"Silence!"

This time his voice was as hard as a rock and as cold as the ice on the mountaintop, causing even the fluffy kits playing with a moss ball to freeze and back away.

"I have chosen the three cats to join Yellowfeather. They are Resistanceclaw, Distractionpaw and Victimheart. The journeyers would be going out now. The Clan meeting is finished."

"Whoa, the Leaffall cold really froze his heart!" Hissed Lilypaw to her friends, then giving the leader and the journeying group a careful glance.