12

Gloria

I had barely slept when Mariah followed by a strange man walked in to wake us up.
It has been so damn cold and the mattress was uncomfortable.
"It's time to get ready for the day," Mariah said unchaining Tristan.
The strange guy stared me up and down, grinning and stroking his beard.
"Can you help her, Thomas?" Mariah said helping Tristan to his feet.
"Of course." He seemed all too eager to get touchy-feely on me. All he had to do was put the key in the lock and turn it, but instead he kept touching my arms and legs. I debated on kicking him in the balls but then decided against it.
"I prefer boys," he murmured taking his time to free my wrists. "But I think I could have fun with you."
"She's for Adam, Thomas." Mariah's voice was stern.
Thomas smiled tightly. "Of course. He always picks the prettiest ones."
Once my arms were free, I rubbed each of my wrists hoping to rub away the ache.
He grabbed my arm and pulled me to my feet. I scrunched up my nose. He reeked of stale beer and cigarettes.
Mariah and Thomas led us upstairs  and one by one took us through the bathroom for a face wash, hair brushing, and brushing teeth.
When we were done they took us to the table. It was a big round one filled with the traditional American breakfast. Orange juice, waffles, eggs, and bacon.
She sat us down opposite from each other then sat at one end. Thomas sat beside me. I assumed that the empty chair at the other end was his.
We sat in an awkward silence for what seemed like forever. Finally he walked in. He was dressed in a blue T-shirt and shorts. 
"Good morning," he said.
"Good morning, sir," Tristan said. Tristan gave me a warning look when I said nothing but I ignored him. 
"Good morning, Gloria." Adam came up and stood behind me. He placed his hands on my shoulder. "How did you sleep?"
I shrugged my shoulders away and looked down at my plate.
"Seems as if someone woke up from the wrong side of bed."
Thomas laughed out loud even though no one else cracked a smile.
Adam sat down and then they all began to hold hands. Thomas and Mariah held theirs out to me.
I would take Mariah's but I refused to touch this disgusting creature.
"Now I understand feeling uneasy about holding hands," Adam said softly, sounding like the man I first met yesterday. "But if you don't, you will be breaking the circle of family. And that is unacceptable."
Thomas leaned towards me. "I'd have to take you to the basement and teach you a lesson."
"Thomas."
I stole a glance at Adam, he was staring at him with a storm in his eyes.
"Sorry, brother. That was out of line."
He held out his hand again and I finally took it.
"Let's say grace," Adam said.
They all closed and bowed their heads.
"Benedic, Domine, et haec tua dona, quae de tua largitate sumus sumpturi. Per Christum Dominum nostrum...
"Amen." Everyone else chimed in.
It felt so weird. This was like a little family. A fucking dysfunctional family.
They passed the food around, clattering and making small talk. It was mostly Thomas and him who were talking.
Mariah dishes out a waffle on my plate. "Do you want some syrup?" She asked. I didn't answer. She poured a small stream on the waffle, poured me a cup of juice, and dished out some eggs and bacon around the waffle keeping everything from touching.
When there was a lull in the conversation, Mariah spoke up.
"Well, it's nice to have another woman around again.  She can definitely help me with the laundry, cooking, gardening, and cleaning."
"That's right, " Adam said.
" Although Tristan has always been wonderful."
" Very, " Thomas said.
Adam slammed his cup of juice down on the table louder than necessary." Please keep your crude remarks to yourself, Thomas."
" What did I say? "
" You know what you meant."
With that we finished the rest of the meal in silence. Well, they did. I hadn't touched my food.
Mariah stood up and began to clear the table.
"Tristan and Thomas, I'll need you to help me with butchering the cow today."
" Yessir, " Tristan said. 
Adam looked at me. I didn't mean to make eye contact it just happened. "And you, Gloria, you can help Mariah with the gardening."

After the kitchen was cleaned, I was still sitting at the table with the plate in front of me.
The men had gone out already to start on their projects. Now it was just Mariah and I. She was at the sink washing dishes. Her back was to me and I debated using the fork i had been given to threaten her with it. But I wasn't sure how that would work exactly. I needed a much better plan.
Mariah finished the dishes, washed her hands and turned around.
"I suppose it's time to get started on the gardening," she said.
She motioned for me to follow her. I had no choice so I got up and followed her out. The sun was bright and hot, I had to shield my eyes.
We past the men who were standing at a big wooden work table, talking.
All three men stopped to watch us as we walked by.
We came up to the garden. It wasn't big but it wasn't small either.
"We need to do a lot of weeding ," Mariah said gathering her long skirt and sitting down between a row of green beans. She began pulling up weeds and setting them in a pile.
I sighed this was going to be a long time.
I copied what she was doing. At first it was difficult because some of the weeds were pretty rooted. Soon I had gotten into a rhythm and could do it absentmindedly.
Out of nowhere there was a loud scream. I jumped, my heart racing.