Chapter Two

I take a deep, deep breathe,

I can do this. I'll sob my heart out, but that has to be later. Now, I have to be stone- faced.

I walk and the crowd parts, Though my pumps give me two inches to my height, you still can't properly see me until I'm mounting the steps. I take my place next to Haldin, and am happy when I don't look miniscule and weak in the cameras.

My face appears to be bored, and blank all at once. I don't care, since you can't detect any of the emotions I feel, not even in my eyes.

I avoid my family's faces in the crowd, knowing that that will be the end of my emotionless facade, and stare straight out into district twelve. I notice what Katniss must've been looking at on her Reaping, and see the mountains beyond district twelve. I set my sights on a bird, flying high. Free. I track it until we are being told to shake hands, and we do.

I'm escorted into the Justice Building after that.

I walk into a room full of velvet and satin, and I sit down on one of the three couches, taken off guard when a cloud of dust poofs up around me.

I wait, and watch as my family comes in.

I smile and tell them I love them, and love them, and love them. We share stories, and I tell Daisy how to survive. I wish I could tell her that she didn't have to take the tesseract, but I couldn't. She needed too for them all to survive, and I hated it with all my heart but it was how it worked. Yes, it was putting her life in danger, but it was also saving our entire family. And it was a big sacrifice, so I told her that it would be good for us, but if she really didn't want to, she didn't have to. She assured me she would take it, I feel guilty at the wave of relief that passes through me. But I can't help it. I say bye to my siblings and cousins.

My dad comes in separately and I've vaulted myself onto him before the doors are even shut.

"You're going to be okay. I know it. I can feel it in my gut." He tells me softly, while stroking my hair. "You have amazing instincts, and are incredibly fast. Faster than even the eighteen year olds at school, you're going to be just fine. Okay?"

I nod into his chest, before slowly stepping down, I stare at him, eyes watering. I don't cry, but I show him this much emotion.

"I love you Dad."

The peacekeepers come and I find myself in hysterics, screaming " Daddy don't leave me."

I stop when I see the raw pain in his eyes, and realise that if that's my last words to him, it'll haunt him forever. Just before the door closes, I scream "I love you!"

I hear a muffled reply.

I sit back on the chair, fix my hair and swipe the water out of my eyes.

The odds are not in my favour at all, but I have to try. I set myself a challenge, if I can make it through the first three days in the arena, I will be fulfilled. Chances are, I'm going to be the smallest and youngest tribute. If I can make it three days, I can go down content.

When we get to the train station, we're flocked with cameras, all snapping shots of us. On the screens, it looks like none of us have cried. I feel happy, and relieved knowing I can cry later.

I fiddle with my necklace as we finally walk in, and Katniss and Peeta flee the room, and I didn't even see Haymitch board the train. I'm escorted by a mute, blonde girl to my room.

It has green, earthy colours. I breathe deeply, and sit on the bed and literally count the seconds until I am called for dinner. 10,803 seconds.

I walk in, and find myself the last one in the room. Even Haymitch is here with his signature silver flask.