Real Talk

Jazlyn summoned Aldini to her quarters, he knocked his signature rhythm and she opened the door for him. Aldini wasn't in his Royal Guard uniform this time, he wore a short-sleeved grey tunic, and the identification number tattooed on his arm was visible along with his personal symbols and mantras. His face was freshly shaved and his hair was trimmed recently. Royal Guards were expected to groom regularly, but the other guards insisted that Aldini spent too much on his barber.

"Come in." Jazlyn offered. She took a seat at the table and Aldini sat across from her. Jazlyn felt very conflicted about how to approach the topic, which manifested in stammering and frustrated expressions while she gathered her thoughts.

"If this is about the other night, I didn't mean to sound like such an overbearing dick but it is my job to keep you safe," he said.

"No, no, no you're fine. I'm actually glad we went there. It opened up my eyes and I had a talk with my dad about some stuff..."

"About what?" he asked with concern.

"Relax I didn't say anything. I just asked him about past wishes," she said. That seemed to relax Aldini a bit. "He told me that a lot of wishes didn't really turn out the way the stories and the songs say they did," Jazlyn said, slowly coming to terms with it by saying it out loud.

Aldini smiled at her, holding in a laugh that inflated his cheeks.

"What!?" she said.

"Nineteen years to figure this out, ya know most people take about twelve, thirteen maximum." he chuckled.

Jazlyn folded her arms and scowled at Aldini."You're dismissed, sir."

Aldini burst out laughing, he calmed himself and caught his breath. "Look, look. I'm not making fun of you for not knowing. It's funny- it's funny because you assume the absolute best of your family and its actions. Like every Queen was benevolent and wholly honest." he said.

Jazlyn shrugged and hung her head slightly, feeling shame about her family and its position for the first time in her life.

"And that's a good thing though! They're your family, after all, you should trust them. but as an outsider looking in it's easier to be... skeptical. If the wishes worked accurately they would sell for fortunes." he said.

"Yeah you're right," she admitted. Jazlyn sat quietly thinking for a moment. "I-" she lowered her voice to a whisper even though they were alone. "I don't think my parents are telling me everything. If I ask they'll give me an answer but I have a feeling they're not being totally truthful," she said.

"Wow, that's crazy. Now you know how everybody in Agrabah feels about the Nobility." Aldini said sarcastically.

"Stop! This is serious! I don't wanna inherit a legacy that's built on lies."

"Look Jazlyn, have you ever considered that this is just the price of power? Maybe you don't need to know, maybe you don't want to."

"I have to know the truth, please," she said.

"What truth? What exactly do you wanna know so damn bad?".

"Take me to Munjar." she requested.

"No," he said, rising from his seat. "No, no, no." he shook his head with each word.

"You have to. I order you, I command you."

"Oh, you command me? You command me now? Well, I guess since you command me?" Aldini heightened the pitch of his voice.

"Well, then I'll wish for it." Jazlyn bluffed.

"Yeah, good luck with that," he said.

Jazlyn snorted. "Fine then I'll wish for General Salim's head to turn into a chicken's then tell everyone it's your fault, and you can explain what happened," Jazlyn said.

"WHAT!? What th- why would you do that!?"

Jazlyn shrugged. "Well, you'd have two options. One you take me to Munjar and I fix it by the time we get back. Or you could stick around and explain how it happened." Jazlyn held out her hands and weighed his fate in them.

"So you're saying you're willing to potentially ruin both of our lives just to get your way?" Aldini asked.

"Yes."

"I can't fucking stand you." Aldini sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose.