Chapter 1: Fool Hearted

Edward Nygma sat at the dining table eating his Chinese takeout leftovers, though he was more picking at it than anything else but he occasionally glanced over at Oswald Cobblepot who laid sleeping in Edward's bed and smiled softly to himself. He found the sight of Oswald's peaceful sleep to be rather adorable because every moment Oswald was awake he had fought with Edward and tried to leave them promptly passed out on the floor. "What are you doing?" Asked a voice in Edward's head.
"Nothing." Said Edward softly as he continued to pick at his noodles.
"No I know that warm fuzzy feeling! You love him just like you loved Kristen!" Said the voice as it manifested into another Edward sitting on the edge of the table staring at the real Edward.
"I wouldn't say love but there's definitely an attraction there." Said Edward softly as he blushed.
"No! Do you really think he could ever feel the same about you!? He's an incredible criminal mastermind, you really think he wants to be associated with someone of your caliber?" Asked the hallucination as Edward set down his fork.
"Well maybe... Um.... Uh.." Edward stammered about for a minute until his hallucination slammed his hand on the table and appeared across the table from him.
"Do you really think that you're worth his time!?" Shouted the other Edward as the real Edward glanced at Oswald and felt his eyes well up with tears.
"You're right..." Said Edward as he lowered his head.

One night while Edward laid on his couch Oswald sat up in bed and leaned over looking at him. "You know now that I don't consider you my kidnapper, honestly I consider you a friend but the bottom line is, I don't feel right about you sleeping on the couch in your own home." Said Oswald as Edward looked at him from the floor.
"You're injured and still healing, it's fine Oswald." Said Edward as Oswald shook his head.
"No it's not, so please join me up here." Said Oswald as Edward was taken back by the suggestion.
"No-no I couldn't-" Edward protested the thought knowing his feelings but Oswald insisted.
"Please, I don't feel right taking advantage of your kindness, please let me do this one thing for you to make up for my harshness in our beginning." Said Oswald as Edward sighed.
"Alright." Said Edward as he rose from the couch and crawled into bed with Oswald.

At first both men laid facing outward once Oswald fell into a deep sleep he started to squirm and mumble like he was having a nightmare. Edward rolled over and tried to wake him but he was too deep into his sleep. As Edward placed his hand on Oswald's arm, Oswald rolled over and clung himself to Edward so Edward held him all night until he woke up the next morning for work.

That morning as Edward got dressed he stared at Oswald. "No! What have I told you!?" Demanded the voice in his head.
"But he was so kind to me last night what if you're wrong!?" Asked Ed as he looked over at the mirror staring at the other version of himself.
"I'm never wrong! But even if I was do you really think he won't end up like Kristen?" Asked the other version of himself as Edward glanced back at Oswald still asleep.
"No that won't happen! Even if I did lose control and hurt him, he wouldn't just let me kill him! He's a fighter, he wouldn't let himself end up as a victim of a crime of passion." Said Edward as his alter ego left the mirror and flickered around in front of him.
"Of course but after the attempt on his life do you really think he wouldn't hunt you like a wild animal! He's a cold blooded killer! And you are just a fumbling moron, he would make you suffer for an act of betrayal!" Said the altar as he flickered about Ed's vision.
"But it would have been an accident!" Said Ed as tears started well up in his eyes.
"Do you think he would care!? He trusts you and if you let yourself love him you will betray him! That's not an assumption that's fact! You are better off unencumbered just like you told him! Now leave! It! Be!" Barked the altar as Edward had tears streaming down his face.
"FINE!" He shouted as suddenly the altar disappeared.
"Who are you talking too?" Asked Oswald in a tired tone as Edward quickly wiped the tears without looking towards him.
"No one-! Myself-! Shut up-!" He stammered as he paced around the apartment for a second and luckily at this early in the morning Oswald didn't have the mental awareness to even question Ed's slightly psychotic outburst that most people would fear but Oswald paid no mind to Edward's violent stammers of nervousness.
"Where are you going?" Asked Oswald as Edward walked over to his nightstand and picked up his work badge which sat right next to Kristen's glasses.
"To work, I used up all the vacation days I had to care for you so I am expected back at the GCPD." Said Edward in a hurried tone as he continued to get ready.
"Well then I will be on my way." Said Oswald as he stood but Edward quickly rushed over.
"No, no, no, no! You can't do that, you still need to rest." Said Edward as he  hovered his hands in front of Oswald without touching him.
"Then what am I supposed to do with myself?" Asked Oswald as he sat back down on the bed.
"Well I have plenty of books, radio, television, just find something to keep yourself busy while I go to work so that no one suspects anything." Said Edward as Oswald scoffed.
"We've had one interaction before you found me in the woods, I highly doubt anyone suspects you to be hiding me." Said Oswald as Edward slightly nodded to the side.
"True but if anyone finds out that Miss Kringle is dead then I will most certainly be a suspect and if they have any evidence and they get a warrant to search my home they will find you here and then we will both be shipped off to Blackgate." Said Edward as Oswald chuckled.
"You're already starting to sound like a professional killer." Said Oswald as Edward sighed.
"Alright I'll be back roughly around 5 but could be later, my cellphone number is on the fridge, call if you need anything." Said Edward as he left swiftly.