Chapter 9: A Day to Never Forget

One morning Oswald held a press conference with the best of Gotham's journalists with Edward by his side to announce the renovations being made to an old office building owned by the late Richard Sionus that was to be turned into the new Iceberg Lounge. Many of the journalist's questions were about the club but then Valerie Vale struck a very interesting question. "Mr. Cobblepot is it true that not only are you romantically involved with Edward Nygma but the word on the streets is that you two are engaged." Said Valerie as she held out her recorder. "Care to comment on these rumors?" Asked Valerie as Oswald was completely taken by surprise but Edward stepped forward wrapping his arm around Oswald's waist and standing beside him.
"Yes, the rumors are true. I proposed to Oswald a few weeks ago and he said yes." Said Edward as he adjusted his glasses.
"Is there going to be a wedding?" Asked Valerie as Edward was stumped and looked at Oswald. The two looked at each other for a moment just thinking then turned and spoke in unison.
"Eventually." They both said then both smirked in a way that showed the group of reporters that they were in complete agreement upon this decision.

Later after the press conference Oswald and Edward went into the second floor which would become Oswald's office. Currently it was still under construction but Oswald wanted to show Edward his plans for the place. "I think this is magnificent, Oswald." Said Edward with a smile as he kissed Oswald's cheek.
"Ed can I ask you something?" Asked Oswald as Edward looked at him.
"Of course." Said Edward as he smiled softly holding Oswald close with his hands on his waist.
"Why did you tell the press we were engaged?" Asked Oswald as Edward frowned.
"Did you not want them to know?" Asked Edward as Oswald shook his head.
"No, I just thought out of the both of us you'd be the most uncomfortable telling people." Said Oswald as Edward smiled.
"I guess you were wrong." Said Edward as he kissed Oswald softly. "I love you and I don't give a damn what this city thinks." Said Edward as Oswald put his hand on Edward's chest and smiled.
"While I'm glad we agree on that." Said Oswald as he smiled.

A few days passed and one morning while Oswald was getting dressed to meet with the new top criminals of Gotham who decided to instead surrender to him rather than to fall at his feet, he had an interesting visitor. "Sir, Barbara Kean to see you?" Said one of his rather new lackeys.
"Show her in!" Said Oswald as he grinned. He heard the clicking of her heels as she walked in.
"Well, well, I heard you two were tying the knot but I just had to see it for myself to believe it." Said Barbara as she walked in with a large smile on her face.
"Well it is true, Edward finally came to his senses and admitted that he was in love with me so of course we're going to make it official." Said Oswald as he adjusted his tie.
"But don't you worry that one of you is gonna screw up and turn on the other like you've done in the past?" Asked Barbara as Oswald sighed and smiled at her like he had caught her in the act.
"You're trying to bait me, aren't you? Make me harbor some suspicions about my fiance, hm?" Asked Oswald as her devilish grin remained. "Well it's not going to work, I would never turn on Ed, not after he admitted his feelings." Said Oswald as he slid on his tail coat.
"True this would've never worked on you but would it have worked on Ed?" Asked Barbara as Oswald paused and looked over at her.
"You're trying to break us up! Why!?" Oswald demanded firmly.
"I'm trying to save you the heart break, Oswald because everyone in this city who's been in the same room as you two knows that there is no amount of love you two could give each other that would break your habits of betraying each other so why make the lie legally binding when it's just not gonna last?" Asked Barbara as Oswald started to believe her but he shook his head driving out all of those thoughts.
"You're wrong and I'll prove it to you!" Said Oswald as he walked out of the room.

He walked around the house calling out for Ed but he was nowhere to be found. Finally he found a small folded piece of paper with a question mark drawn on it. Oswald finally noticed it after giving up and sat down on the couch but the note had been placed strategically on the coffee table where Oswald would not have seen it unless he wasn't looking for it. Oswald picked up the note and read it. "Oswald, meet me at the Iceberg Lounge at 10 o'clock tonight, I have a surprise for you my love." Said Oswald as he smiled.