Over The Years

His running shoes smashed against the muddy surface, breathing deeply watching as the trees bent as he ran

"They only care about consistency, you cannot show up once and decide the next day you don't want to go!"

Recalling the look of unease on his mother's face.  While he sat on his bed, staring blankly at his backpack. A few hours ago, he and his mother went to a sports equipment store to find track cleats.

He brightly smiled as he looked around the shop; this was his first time being on a high school sports team

He brightly smiled as he looked around the shop; this was his first time being on a high school sports team. Though living with his mother and big brother, the thought of being the first in his household to compete in track with his high school made his heart pump powerfully with joy!

They say the pricier cleats offer the best comfort; to him, a cleat was only a cleat. Though his mother could pick any cleat he wanted, to spend over one hundred or more dollars on him would've been unfair in his eyes. So he looked and chose black and green cleats that were in the range of eighty-five dollars. After showing his mother the cleats, she happily said she'd buy them, and he inhaled and exhaled with relief, looking down at the box with his cleats inside.

"You need to work on your stance while running."

He looked over his shoulder, and the middle-aged man, his track coach, locked eyes with him.

"How do I run correctly?"

He wondered, and the coach responded by calling over Clyde—a top recruit of the senior class of 2024. Eventually, Clyde showed him the correct way to position himself when preparing for a run.

"You remind me of a junior I met a year ago named Dante. Like you, Dante was starting to understand the fundamentals after some time. Eventually, he competed in track at a collegiate level, and now you are also competing. We eventually became state champions from his hard work at this high school."

These words from Clyde shocked him while they worked out together, though Clyde was entirely comfortable in his clothing while running down the pathway in the forest. On the other hand, the junior was unaware that he was jogging too quickly for his own body, trying to keep up with Clyde's incredible speeds.

Though the two were running around the forest for some time, he could not fully finish two laps across a quarter of a mile around the forest. Clyde looked back at him, noticing he stopped running. His hands were on his waist, and his eyes were closed. He slowly moved his head towards the clouds, taking multiple deep breaths. His heart was clanking instead of beating; with each breath, all the junior could feel was disappointment.

He stood still like a robot for a few seconds, which felt like minutes. Clyde listened to the voices of the other athletes on the team advancing throughout the forest, but he ignored them.

"We're currently working on your jersey right now."

He opened his eyes upon hearing the voice of the cross-country team coach in front of him.

"Thank you Mr.Whitlock."

It was like yesterday. He decided to join the cross-country team during his first year after becoming accustomed to high school.

[ End of the first section! ]

[ Section two aka A Perky One! is currently being worked on! I hope you enjoyed section one! ]