Another Crash

Charles's POV

Lando and I were standing backstage in the garages, watching the race through the monitors. We both wore headphones, so we were able to hear everything that was spoken between YN and the crew. The beginning seemed to go smoothly, she wasn't in front, but she was back and forth between p4 and p3. When only a few laps were left, she started picking up the pace and caught up to some of the drivers, I could tell she was urging to get in front. "Come on, Carter, that's it," I mumbled to myself.

The whole garage went quiet as the tension built up. She was battling with the front driver for P1. They kept going back and forth, her taking over in the turns, while he caught up to her on the straight lines. 

They finally entered the last lap, and just as it seemed as if she was going to overtake the other driver, they made contact in turn 7 and they both crashed... 

There was a big rush going through all of us in the garage, while one of the crew members was trying to get in contact with her. My eyes were stuck to the screen, as they filmed the two cars, and there didn't seem to be any movement inside any of the cars.  "Fuck..." I heard Lando growl. Everyone was in deep worry. 

"YN, are you okay? Please report back." They kept trying but there was no response. The medical crew had made it to the crash and shortly after, the other driver was seen walking with them from his car. Then, they approached YN's, and it took what seemed like forever to finally get her out of the car. Finally, a breath of relief could leave my lips when she was on her feet, leaving the track. A camera had made it up close at the track, filming her as she made it off the track and she made an 'ok sign while passing by it. She was okay... Thank God.

YNs POV

When I had been checked by the medical team, they finally let me go back to the garage. Clive had met me at the check-up and was walking beside me, holding my helmet as we entered the garage. I was fuming, kicking my feet and cursing under my breath. I didn't want to talk to anyone at all, so without looking up from the ground, I walked straight to my drivers room. 

I slammed the door shut and threw off my gloves before I sat down on the sofa and placed my head in my hands in frustration. "Fuck me!" I yelled out. Why did this shit always have to happen to me? All because of that horrible woman! I groaned out and reached for my phone in my bag.

'Missed call: Dad (18)'

"I'm okay, don't worry." That was all I could say in a text. I didn't want to talk to him about any of it, I knew it would only end in a fight. I threw my phone across the room, but just as I did, there was a knock on my door, and it swung open quickly after the bang my phone had made. "Are you okay, what was that?" Lando asked worriedly as he looked around.

I simply pointed to my phone, lying on the floor and he nodded, seeming to understand what had happened. I sighed and he got inside, closing the door after him. What was he even doing here? I didn't want him to see me like this.

"Are you alright?" He asked carefully. I knew that whatever would come out of my mouth would be completely uncalled for, so I kept quiet. I wasn't mad at him, I was mad at myself. But he was here, and therefore in risk of being the victim of some crazy outburst.

"It happens for everyone, YN, don't beat yourself up over it." His voice was very gentle, but it didn't matter - the rage inside me just kept growing. I saw red when looking down at my hands in my lap, and it just flew out; "You don't get it." It came out way too snarky. I felt an instant regret, but there was no stopping it now. It was either this or cry. And I couldn't cry. Not in front of him. Not in front of anyone, really.

"Maybe I can help?" He tried again, approaching me and sitting down beside me. I scoffed, looking to the ground. "Help? You can't help me, Lando. You have no idea what it's like." I let out a sarcastic laugh. "Crashing? I'm pretty sur-" I couldn't hold back, and I snapped at him; 

"No, not crashing, do you really think I'm that naive? You don't know what it's like growing up with a mother like mine! One who never supported me and only ever showed up to fuck everything up! A mother, who would rather see her daughter hurt herself and be unhappy for the rest of her life, rather than become a fucking driver!" I raised my voice at him, and he was clearly taken aback by it.

But before any of us could say anything else, the door opened again and in came Charles and Isack. "Hey, Cart." Isack kneeled down in front of me. He handed me a bottle of water and a chocolate bar without saying anything else. We had somewhat of a tradition to do this whenever one of us was feeling down or disappointed after a race, and it would always make me feel better honestly.

I wiped my eyes a bit, not wanting the tears to fall before I took them with a small smile. "Thank you..." I whispered and calmed a bit down after drinking some water. The room was quiet for a bit until I looked at both Charles and Lando. "What are you both doing here anyway?" I asked. 

Charles walked over to sit on the other side of me and wrapped an arm around me, hugging my body. "We're here for you, of course. You weren't feeling well, so Lando and I thought to stay and watch the race." He spoke slowly, and Lando joined in, "Max wanted to be here as well, but he had to get home to his girlfriend. We already texted him about it all."

I sighed deeply and nodded my head. Guilt and regret rushed over me again, and I looked at Lando with sad eyes, "I'm sorry I was harsh, Lan." He placed his hand on top of mine and gave it a squeeze. "Don't apologise, I know you're very upset." 

Isack then stood up and reached out his hands to me, helping me get up as well. He pulled me in for a short hug. "I have to go and get changed, and you should go and get some rest." I nodded and gave him a small smile before he left the room. 

Charles and Lando had both stood up as well, and they were looking at me with eyes full of worry. "Arthur and I are going to get some food before we go back to the hotel, why don't you join us?" Charles offered, placing a hand on my arm. "I don't know. I'm not really hungry..." 

"You have to eat something, or else you won't feel better for tomorrow when it really counts, Carter." Charles looked at me with pleading eyes, and I let out a sigh and nodded. "Okay then."

Then I looked at Lando, "Are you going to join us too?" I asked, but he just shook his head a little with a smile. "I have to meet up with some friends while I'm here, but make sure to eat lots. And tomorrow, try the ice bath before the race, okay? It might help." He spoke in a cheering manner. I nodded and offered him a small smile. 

Lando hesitated a bit, but then carefully wrapped his arms around me in a warm hug. I held onto him, resting my head on his shoulder for a bit before he pulled away again. "Rest lots and best of luck tomorrow, Yn." He spoke, his hands still lingering on my waist and shoulder. "I will do my best." He shot me one last smile before nodding his head at Charles and leaving the room.

When the door was closed again, I turned to look at Charles, whose eyes were already planted on me. 

"I'll let you get changed and we can meet out front, okay?" Charles smiled warmly, to which I nodded. Maybe going out to eat wasn't so bad after all. Plus, I really hadn't eaten anything all day, so it was probably for the best.

When I had changed and collected my things, I walked out of the room whilst fixing my hair a bit. It had been up the whole day, so it was nice to finally let it loose. When I walked out of the garage and onto the paddock, I saw the two Leclerc brothers right away, waiting for me. 

After my crash, Arthur had ended up in 3rd place, so I went to congratulate him immediately. 

"Way to go A, P3!" I spoke up, trying to sound as positive as possible, but he looked at me with slightly sad eyes. "I wouldn't have made it even close if you hadn't crashed, Cart. I'm really sorry." I couldn't help but smile a bit while nudging his arm playfully. "Stop with that, you got the podium cause you deserved it. I'll take it another time, don't you worry." We both laughed a little and we all left together.