I want you around

We entered one of the biggest clubs in London, which was known to be a bit more on the expensive side. It was pretty packed inside, so to not get lost I automatically grabbed onto Charles, who was walking in front of me. I just barely grabbed a small part of his jacket, but he immediately reached his hand down and took mine. "Don't get lost." He smirked at me.

We made our way to the bar and Charles let me stand in the front, him standing right behind me. Oscar joined me by my side and started looking at the drinks menu. "What should we get?" He yelled so I could hear him over the loud music. "I don't know, anything is great!" I yelled back before leaning closer automatically to see the menu. "Let's get this one," Oscar said, pointing to a pretty strong cocktail, and I just nodded. "Good idea!"

He ordered the drinks for us and I turned around to look at Charles while sipping my drink. "Aren't you going to get anything?" I frowned as he was just standing there. "Not right now, I don't want to get drunk." He replied with a smile, to which Oscar and I just looked at each other and scoffed. 

Oscar was only a year older than me, making us the closest in age among all of us. We had talked a lot inside the restaurant already, and we seemed to really hit it off. 

After a few drinks, I had gotten a little tipsy, and so had most of the others. Lando was at the DJ desk, Isack was talking drunken strategies with Max, while Kelly had already taken off, and Oscar, Charles and I were in the bar, talking. "Let's go dance!" Oscar suggested and I was immediately on board. "Charles, Come on!" I said, trying to get Charles with us as well, but he just shook his head laughing. "You go have fun, I'll stay here and watch over your drink." 

Oscar and I went to the middle of the dance floor and began to dance around. Soon, both Isack and Max joined us as well and we were all having lots of fun. I was completely wasted at this point and hadn't even noticed the guy dancing right behind me until he put a hand on my waist. I carefully tried to brush it off, but he didn't seem to get the hint and placed it right back every time. The other boys didn't notice anything, and I didn't want to make a scene just because I was a little uncomfortable, so I decided to just live with it. 

It didn't take long though, before I felt the hand try and pull me up against him, to which I immediately turned around to stop him. But before I could even say anything, Charles was standing right in front of me, placing a hand on the other guy's chest, telling him something that I couldn't hear from the music. It seemed to work though, as the other guy left immediately and Charles turned back around with a furious look on his face.

"Let me take you home, please." He spoke, clearly trying to be gentle, but I could tell he was mad. I didn't argue and nodded my head before waving at the boys while Charles led me out of the club, his hand wrapped firmly around my wrist. 

Outside the club a bunch of paparazzi were waiting around, taking our pictures as we left, but I didn't have a care in the world at this point. The alcohol and the warm lingering feeling inside after Charles had come to my rescue, was enough to keep my mind busy with better things. 

Charles's POV

"Guys in clubs are such pigs. I knew it was a good idea not to drink tonight." I growled as soon as we got in the car and were alone. She giggled and the sound was way too sweet in my ears, making me instantly feel soft and fizzy inside. "You're drunk." I rolled my eyes a little. 

"Stop acting mad Charlie, you knew I was going to be," She giggled again, looking at me with a wide smile. I tried to hold back a smile, but she took it upon herself to try and get it out anyway. She poked my cheek gently, wiggling her eyebrows. "You're smilinggggg!" She teased and I couldn't hold it back anymore. I smiled, just like that. She had me wrapped around her finger.

"Seeeee! Look at those dimples! So cute." She said, obviously proud of herself for making me smile. "Stop that, Carter." I chuckled, trying to act annoyed, but she poked my dimple this time. She let her hand linger on my cheek, caressing it gently, while her eyes were staring into mine. She looked so beautiful tonight. Absolutely gorgeous. 

I felt her hand about to fall from my cheek, so to prevent it, I placed mine on top of hers. I leant my head against her hand, enjoying her touch a little, as I felt comfort in knowing, that she most likely wouldn't remember this in the morning. "You look beautiful," I spoke and I could see a bright pink shade on her cheeks. "You look more beautiful," She responded and I laughed a bit, letting our hands fall down to my lap. I wrapped my hand around hers, holding it.

"Where were you yesterday?" She suddenly asked and I looked at her confused. Yesterday? What was she on about? "After my race, only Lando stayed back, where were you?" Her expression seemed less happy now and I felt a small sting in my chest, remembering Lando and I's chat yesterday.

"I went to talk to Arthur," I said and she sighed. "Right, Lando told me." She said and I was even more confused. "But you weren't anywhere to be found earlier today either!" She argued, and I shook my head, "We spoke before the race, Carter, and after that, I didn't feel like talking, I was upset." I admitted but she shook her head. "No, before that. I saw all the other drivers when I walking around the paddock with Isack, but you weren't there. If it wasn't for my breakdown, would you have even come to wish me good luck?" She looked defeated, and it hurt my heart.

It was true, I had avoided her earlier, but only cause I didn't know how to go about the whole Lando situation. He was so open about liking her, and I didn't want it to seem as if I was trying to steal her away from him or sabotage his chances with her. He was my friend. "I was busy, Carter..." I tried, but even when drunk she didn't buy my bullshit. 

"I know you're lying, it's so obvious. Hey, it's fine if you didn't want to, I was just asking." She dismissed it all, clearly trying to push me away. She tried to pull away her hand from my hold, but I grabbed her hand tighter in response. 

"I really wanted to. Yesterday too, I wanted to stay and be there when you were done." I admitted, looking her dead in the eye. Her eyes spoke a million words, but they didn't seem to understand what I meant, they were blank, confused, sad and incredibly beautiful, all at the same time. Maybe I should tell her the truth. She will probably forget in the morning anyway.

"While you were racing, I spoke to Lando, and he said that he like-" She interrupted me. "He likes me." She stated and I looked at her surprised. "Did he tell you?" I asked and she shook her head. "Not directly, but he's made some hints." She was slurring her words a bit. "Right, so he told me that he did, and I thought it would only be fair if I let you two have some alone time, so he could make a good impression," I explained and her eyes avoided mine.

She was looking down at our hands that were still intertwined. "You think I should date him then?" My heart stopped for a minute and I was trying to read her face. She seemed so unhappy, what was she wanting me to tell her? That I thought she should give him a chance, or that I really didn't want her to, for some reason that I couldn't even explain?

"I think you should do what feels right," I told her and squeezed her hand. It was true. Whatever she did, whoever she was with, I just wanted her to be happy. "I am..." She whispered, still not looking at me. I furrowed my eyebrows, "What?" She looked up and smiled at me. "Don't leave me alone with him again like that. I want you around." She said it so carelessly, and clearly drunk, yet it made me so happy. She wants me around. 

After talking for a while I drove her back to her apartment and made sure she got safely to the front door. "Thank you for taking me home, Charlie." She said, leaning against the doorframe. "Of course, Cart, anytime. Drink lots of water before going to bed, okay?" She smiled and nodded. "Now, go inside, get some rest and I'll text you tomorrow."

She smiled widely and took a step forward. In the glimpse of an eye, she stood up on her toes and gave me a peck on the cheek. She was so careless and had absolutely no idea of the impact she had on me, or the warm feeling she gave me inside. I'm sure I had the most dumb smile on my face when she stood back down in the doorway and smiled back at me. "Goodnight, Charlie!" She spoke cutely, then went inside and closed the door. 

And there I stood, completely dumbfounded outside her apartment at 2 am. What was this girl doing to me?