CHAPTER ELEVEN

Slow Down, Children at Play

Isabelle pulled up to pick her brother from school when Rio got in the car

"Your friend's giving his deposition in the morning." Rio said.

"What the hell? He's not my friend." Isabelle clarified.

"So how are you gonna do it?"

"I don't know."

"Well, maybe you should figure that out." Rio replied.

"I'm not a psychopath unlike some." Isabelle said and looked at him.

"Not easy being the boss, huh?"

"I need to pick up my brother now."

"Oh, yeah, you gotta hustle if you want to make it to Scouts, huh? Do it tonight." Rio told her and got out the car.

***

Isabelle was at the swimming pool with Liam.

"Isabelle, watch." Liam called as he was swimming.

"You're doing great." Isabelle called back.

"Kids got a lot going on." Rio said as he sat beside her.

"I like to keep him busy."

"Oh, yeah? That's what he likes?"

"He's 11." Isabelle said.

"Yeah, but if you don't want to do something, you ain't going to be any good
at it." Rio said.

"You parenting my brother now?" Isabelle asked.

"No. No, I'm just saying not everybody could be good at everything." Rio said and Isabelle put the bag next to him. "So that's it? So how'd you do it?"

"You really want the details?"

"Oh, please."

"We made him turn around and get on his knees. Then we did it. And we put him on a boat as far out as we could." Isabelle told.

"And you cleaned the boat?" He asked.

"Of course."

"Wow. So you must have not gotten much sleep, then, huh?"

"I'm used to it." Isabelle said.

"Right. Man, that's a hell of a story."

"Thanks."

"Yeah, I just wish it was true. You see, you can't shoot someone if you don't use any bullets." Rio said with a chuckle.

"Hey, Isabelle! I'm going to dive." Liam called to her.

"You should watch. This will be good." Rio said and brushed his hand on her shoulder before leaving.

***

Later at night, Isabelle took out the trash to see Rio parked down the road.

She walked over to him. She was only wearing a crop top and shorts as her pyjamas.

"I can't do this anymore." Isabelle told him.

"What's that?" Rio asked.

"The lying. I lie to everyone, to my friends, to the FBI... to you. I can't even keep myself together. And I can't hide. Not from you anyway. And I can't kill somebody either, so... I'm just so exhausted. I don't think I've slept in over two months."

He leaned off the car and got the gun out his back pocket.

"Are you going to kill me?" Isabelle asked and he used his finger to move her hair away from her face.

"I'm going to teach you." Rio told her.