Chapter 6: I'll Be There Right Now

[ DATE: 12?/19?/2022? ]
[ POV: Minji ]

"..I'll meet you back in 5."

I told Hanni with a forced smile, holding her hand tight before letting go as I began to give chase to wherever the emergency services were headed. Somehow, I managed to find a good enough opportunity to slip through, making use of the commotion among the crowd to sneak off into a sprint.

"Minji! Where are you going?!"

Still, I couldn't stop my manager and his guards from noticing my actions once I had gotten far enough from the paparazzi swarm. I heard them call me out, to which I only reacted with a short glance - not willing to stop just yet.

"Come on, come on..!"

I exclaimed, my heart racing as I started to fall behind once the ambulance picked up its pace. Adding to that, I also made out, amidst the emergency vehicle's blaring sirens, the sound of more footsteps rushing toward me from behind - which I suspected to be that of my guards.

"(What I'm doing right now..)"

Looking further, I noticed that the narrow streets that we were headed toward were also bustling with activity. So, as much as my focus remained fixed on the emergency vehicle ahead, I decided to take a shortcut down a tight alleyway nearby - all while my thoughts raced through my mind just as quickly as I ran.

"(Doesn't make sense!)"

If there was one thing that did make sense though, was that my manager and guards could only trail far behind, shouts lost in the chaotic rush of the moment. I always figured I was one of the most athletic in our group, but I never expected that I'd have to utilize my physical capabilities like this.

"(But.. there's just..)"

"Minji, please stop!" I heard one of my guards bellow with frustration, temporarily snapping me back into reality - responding by throwing down some nearby crates once I had exited via the other end of the alleyway.

"(Something about that person.. that I need to know!)"

I thought to myself, images of the peculiar individual and his oddly familiar face and ambiance rushing through my head. I then looked back for a second, seeing my pursuing party retreat to their vehicles back at the compound.

Realizing that this chase was now possibly in jeopardy, I wasted no time searching for the ambulance once again. Fortunately, it didn't take too long for me to relocate it - its bright red and yellow paintjob easily catching my attention as I hastily followed after it. 

"(..And the girls surely feel the same!)"

Eventually, the ambulance screeched to a halt in front of a weathered building that claimed to be a hospital. Somewhat confused, somewhat unbelieving, my shoes skidded against the ground as I stopped just nearby - taking some time to absorb the appearance of this so-called health service establishment.

"Is.. Is this where they plan to take him?!"

I questioned, an awkward expression mixing a frown and a smile appearing on my face. If anything, the longer I looked at the building, the more signs of wear and tear I noticed. Frankly, I was concerned with the state of this place - albeit I still headed in as the emergency services hurriedly wheeled the injured man inside.

"Excuse me.."

Fueled by an inexplicable urgency, I rushed in, swiftly pushing through the small crowd that had gathered - my eyes never leaving the stranger on the stretcher. Seeing as how my initial callouts went unnoticed however, I promptly raised my voice by the next time I spoke.