Dittocember Special: Like Ghosts in the Snow

[ DATE: 12/25/2022 ]
[ POV: ??? ]

On a cold and dark night, I would find solace in the lone yet gentle embrace of my room, uncaring of the messy and disorganized state it was in as all my focus was poured on one sole thing, one song.

"Stay in the middle, like you a little~"

The song in question would of course be none other than NewJeans' Ditto, a cheerful yet meaningful track that holds a lot more nostalgia and sincerity than its rhythmic beats would show. Granted, with the success Ditto has already seen within just a few days of its release, I'm certain that most of everyone already thinks the same.

"Don't want no riddle. Malhaejwo, say it back~"

And I was no different as I happily danced to the tune, flowing along with it like a familiar companion. A soothing energy filled the air, and I felt a small and cute smile form on my face as the joy the music brought resonated throughout the four walls of my room.

"Oh, say it, Ditto~"

Outside, the cheerful atmosphere was no different as winter night unfolded - painting the world with cold winds and the joyful carols of people. Unfortunately, there wasn't really any snowing happening in my hometown, although the enchanting ambiance the season brought more than made up for it.

"I want you so, want you, so say it Ditto~"

Naturally, there were also a lot of guests and relatives over as it was Christmas Eve, with the family bonding over shared stories and great food as the present year neared it conclusion.

I for one, however, gladly chose the solitude of my own private space over the festive clamor that was happening downstairs - having never been the most sociable or outgoing of people.

"Done practicing, son?"

Fortunately, my parents always acknowledged my inclination to avoid large gatherings, with my mother calling out to me as she entered my room - bearing a plate laden with a hearty meal that she had cheekily sneaked out from the still ongoing Christmas party.

The aroma of the home-cooked dishes, mingled with the cool December air, immediately caught my attention, creating a haven of warmth as I nodded in response to her question before commenting - "Woah, that's a lot of food.."

"Thanks a lot, Mom." I said, expressing my gratitude with a tender smile as I accepted the plate. I wiped the sweat off of my forehead from all the dancing and then sat down on my bed nearby - my mother promptly sitting down beside me as well.

"Whatever new song NewJeans just released, I'm sure it must be really good for you to skip the Christmas Party like that." - my mother jokingly commented, having turned her attention to the TV, which was now playing the somber and melancholic outro to the Ditto B-Side MV.

I replied to my mom's comment with a small chuckle, my gaze also flickering to the TV screen - giving me a fleeting connection back to the world that I so dearly admired but never had a chance to get close to. "You couldn't be more right, mom.."

I muttered in response as I momentarily paused, silently staring into the world being displayed on the TV, struggling to hide the odd connection I felt to Ditto - even though I had never lived or experienced a life as beautiful as the girls' in the MV.

Even my mother seems to have caught on to how I was feeling, giving off the same old motherly understanding that she's given me for as far as I can remember. Expressing a feint and warm smile, she then broke the silence - uttering a sudden remark that felt surprisingly heartfelt for the moment.

"You know, dear, as childish or weird it may even seem for some.."

Curious as to what she may be referring to, I snapped out of my daze and turned to face her, slightly raising my eyebrows as I listened to what she had to say.