Chapter 9

The guards were all skilled, carrying the sedan chair steadily and swiftly.

Yeshui's village was about sixty miles away from the Su residence. Walking was slow, but the sedan chair was fast. Several maids and Yeshui were in horse-drawn carriages, and they quickly arrived at the small village where Yeshui lived.

Yeshui lived by the mountains in a very impoverished area, relying on crops for a living. Many people had never entered a city in their lifetime. Even those who had been to a city had never seen such a large procession. People they encountered on the road stopped their work and gestured towards the group.

"Miss, we have arrived."

Inside the soft sedan chair, Su Yi was gently awakened by Yanshen.

She weakly opened her eyes. "Then let's get down."

Yanshen lifted the curtain of the sedan chair but was intercepted by Ji Qingchi before he could assist.

"My wife, be careful," Ji Qingchi said softly, carefully helping her up by bending over.

Suyi had no strength to resist and seemed as limp as cotton, forced to lean most of her body against Ji Qingchi. "I've troubled my husband.""

Ji Qingchi curved her lips into a smile, suppressing the guilt in her heart. 'No, this is my duty as your husband''

As soon as the two stepped out of the carriage, everyone saw an affectionate and loving couple.

The onlookers pointed at Ji Qingchi. ''Isn't that the young man saved by Yeshui earlier?'

''Oh, indeed, look, that seems to be Yeshui.''

The hushed discussions of the crowd slowly faded away as Su Yi was assisted down from the sedan chair.

They had lived in this village all their lives, but had they ever seen such a beautiful young lady?

Several young men holding baskets for gathering wild vegetables couldn't resist and slowly approached, their eyes fixed on Su Yi. They asked cheerfully, 'Where is the young lady from? Coming to search for a husband here?'

Ji Qingchi coldly observed the impudent men. ''Back off.''

'Hey, aren't you the lad saved by Yeshui? Perhaps you've secretly pledged to her for life? A nobody like you, daring to flirt with someone else's young lady? And assisting her, have you no shame?'"

This was the first time Ji Qingchi had been insulted by a man in all her life. She was about to retaliate immediately to let them know what it means to live and beg death, when the woman in her arms suddenly coughed. Whether intentional or not, she leaned against Ji Qingchi, using her frail body to suppress her movements.

Softly, she said, ''Gentlemen, we are here visiting relatives.''

Glancing at the person in her arms, Ji Qingchi noticed she still looked sickly, as if the previous incident wasn't intentional.

Furrowing her brow, Ji Qingchi hesitantly retracted her hand, which had turned into a hook.

"Is that so..." The men, unsure of their misstep, were about to inquire further, hoping to charm this young lady. However, a woman in her forties, dressed in a long gown, hurriedly ran over from the village, followed by several other women dressed similarly.

Upon arrival, she scolded the men, 'You're done picking vegetables, why aren't you hurrying home to weave cloth? Your mothers are searching for you! Such lazy lads, who would dare to marry you in the future!'

The men seemed afraid of her. With obedient nods and a timid ''Aunt Shen,'' they shuffled away from her, nudging each other in haste.

Watching them leave, the person addressed as Aunt Shen adjusted her long robe and respectfully greeted the outstanding Su Yi in the crowd, 'My Excellency, I am Shen Ke, the local head of Yanshui Village. May I ask, esteemed guest, where do you come from? It's really rude for us not to welcome you properly''