Chapter 3

BLAND.

--is what I can describe the food served to me at the cafeteria. Though they looked good, they tasted just like... plain rice with seasoning or salt maybe.

I looked around my seat and saw the other students enjoying their meals without any complaints. "How?" Is what I thought as I took another bite.

Yep, I can't eat this. If the meals served here are all like this, then I'm gonna have to make my own.

Staring at the tray, I rested my head on my left hand and began to somewhat play with my food; taking small little bites using my fork.

From the other student's view, I'm pretty sure that I look like a loner with a pose like this, right? Well, I felt like I wanted a bit of attention from those "special" students who literally stand out like a lamp post in the middle of the night.

Speaking of "special," here comes one right now: a guy with purple, spiky hair eating a sandwich. 

Looks like he's trying to find a seat. Should I help him out? Well, maybe I don't need to since he's already spotted the pretty vacant one I've got.

He walked towards the table and sits to the left in front of me. After making himself comfortable, he begins to munch on his food again.

Hm, should I talk to him? I mean, I need to make SOME connections in this place since I've literally got NOBODY TO TALK TO! NOT A SINGLE ONE!

Well, except for my "aunt," I suppose.

How long has this guy been like this by the way? What month is it on the calendar since the school year started?

Using the memories of "Kaito Kobayashi," I thought hard, trying to access the memory files of this shithead.

Then, I "remembered."

Since April.

It's now August.

Four months of loneliness?

Can't fucking believe it.

I gotta make this guy, or myself, have some friends since I am NOT going to last long alone here.

From now on, I'm going to be a "major character" in this world, and the first person who's going to be my step towards the top, will be this purple-haired guy.

...

(Japanese)

"What's that you're eating?" I asked him from out of the blue.

The guy looked at me and stared at my eyes. Talk about making eye contact when having a conversation, eh?

"A ham sandwich." He answered.

"Ham sandwich? You bought it at the counter?"

"No, made it myself."

"I see. I've been planning to pack my own lunch to eat it here since I didn't quite like the food the chefs served at the menu."

Alright, conversation's going smoothly. Try to prolong it as long as possible but not too much, and make it a bit interesting.

"You know, for four months, I didn't even bother trying to pack my own since... I was too lazy to cook back at home."

Make up some semi-real bullshit along the way.

"I've gotten tired of it and it kind of... changed me as a person."

Can't think of anything, so just improvise.

"Have you ever changed as a person so suddenly in your life?"