Chapter 07: Bounty of the Wilderness

"Hey, how does it feel to be shot?" asked Van, who was standing between Lottie and Agami.

They gave the red-haired woman a questioning look, both confused about why the woman would ask such a question and for what reason.

"The fuck, Palmer? I don't know. I have never been shot," replied Agami, her eyebrows furrowed. She then tilted her head forward and looked at the tall brunette with them. "You?" she asked Lottie.

"I can't say I had the pleasure," the woman responded.

Agami shrugged her shoulders off and just focused on the group gathered not far from them. Mari just finished firing her shots, hitting one can successfully out of five targets, and handed the gun to Travis after. Lottie was the one who ran to fix the target again for Travis to hit, quickly went back to where the two girls were standing, then covered her ears just like Van and Agami.

Travis starts shooting, knocking on three consecutive targets flawlessly, but misses the fourth one. The three of them got confused about why the man stopped shooting, only to realize that he was now pointing the gun at Natalie when they looked at the group.

"Travis!" they heard the coach warn him.

Agami pinched the bridge of her nose at the sight of what's happening, frustrated at Travis' misbehavior, which just added to the list of reasons why she hates the guy.

"What the fuck is he doing?" asked Van, her voice obviously containing anger.

"He's being a prick again," replied Lottie, sounding more irritated than usual.

Thankfully, whatever was happening to the group ended quickly, and Travis finished off his turn by firing the last shot he had left, hitting the next target down once again. He managed to bring down four out of five cans, which in Agami's honest opinion was quite good, but the fact that he pointed the gun at Natalie earlier was enough for him to not be praised by anyone.

Natalie was impressive though. She managed to take all the targets down, which earned cheers from everyone in the group, including Van and Lottie, who were jumping and clapping for their friend's victory against Travis. Agami clapped, smiling not just about Natalie's success but also about how the woman proved her skills and that the second chance given to her during the dry firing was worth it.

Her eyes then landed on Travis. He was standing behind Natalie, all quiet, but the frustration was visible in his face. Obviously, his pride had been stepped on by Natalie, and he was embarrassed for himself at the moment.

Agami smirked. She adds salt to any injury for sports and loves to rub it in the wound.

Lottie and Van once again fixed the target cans, this time for Agami, who will be the last to try to hit all the targets. When they came back to their spots, Agami spoke.

"Ten bucks say I will hit all five targets just like Scat did," she said, which immediately got Van and Lottie's attention.

"No. I'll be glad to give you twenty once we're back home if that happens," replied Van, making her bet, a grin visible on her face.

"A hundred. You will get a hundred bucks from me if you hit all five and manage to piss Travis off," said Lottie, challenging the woman.

Agami raised her right fist in front of Van and Lottie, which they happily bumped, using theirs to seal their deal.

"Agami!" yelled coach Ben. "You're up."

Since she's the last one to do it and there's no need to arrange the targets after her turn, Lottie and Van walked with her, the three of them finally joining the rest of the group. Agami took the gun from Natalie, the woman nodding at her in a gesture of good luck, and responded to her by winking.