Chapter 12: The Buzz of Silence

[1996]

"How are we going to do this?" asked Laura Lee as she tried to balance herself on the other side of the raft with Agami.

The two of them, along with some girls who woke up early and decided to accompany Laura Lee and Agami on their first try at fishing, headed to the lake before the sun even rose. Since they didn't want to go fishing under the heat of the sun after morning light, they chose to start as early as possible, but not for that reason alone. They still had to figure out how they would catch some fish.

They brought a few things with them on the raft. A jar of nightcrawlers that Crystal gathered, two improvised spears made by Gen and Mel, and a hook that Akilah made for them using a stick with points sharpened enough to pierce the mouth of a fish, tied in nylon, which they found in the cabin. It would have been better if they found an actual rod, but the man who used to live in the cabin seemed to have just relied on the fishing net, which isn't much of a help to them at the moment.

"It's trial and error for now, Lee," replied Agami.

Laura suggested that they should first try to tie the nylon on the other end of the spear they have, improvising a fishing rod, and see if they would be able to catch something with it.

"Ughh," Agami grimaced as she picked a worm from the jar of nightcrawlers and used the fish hook to puncture it to make a bait.

The other woman then lowered it down to the water and held it still, and they could do nothing but wait for some miracle to happen. When at least twenty minutes had passed and nothing had happened yet, Agami started to lose her patience.

"Are you sure you can't feel any tugging?" she asked Laura Lee.

"Nothing, okay!" the blonde woman replied, just as irritated as Agami.

"It's been quite some time. How come we haven't caught anything yet?"

"Then why don't you hold this if you're too excited to catch something? Maybe you have magical hands!"

"Fine! Give me that!"

Agami snatched the spear from Laura Lee to do it herself. But before she decided to do what the other woman did earlier, which was nothing but hold it, she pulled the thread again to check if they already might have caught even just a small fish, and Laura Lee simply didn't notice it. When she finally got sight of the end of the line, Agami screamed in disbelief.

"Are you fucking kidding me?"

The bait was already gone-no one knows for how long, which means they wasted time. Some fish might have eaten it already and the woman didn't realize it or feel the tugging.

"I swear I didn't feel anything," Laura Lee defended herself.

Agami sighed heavily. "No, it must be because we lowered it far too deep and the fish was so small that you didn't notice it had already taken the bait. Besides, it's not like we are using a real rod."

"Then what should we do?" asked Laura Lee.

"Same thing, I guess. But this time don't go too deep, and also-" said Agami, pausing for a moment and getting the small branch they brought, removing the nylon thread from the spear and just tying it there. "You should have more control with this."

"I hope," Laura Lee responded.

"If you feel something, even if it's just a little twitch, pull it up carefully," explained Agami. "Once something was in our sight, I would fucking thrust it."

"Is that even the right way to do this?" asked the blonde woman.

"We're past the point where we follow rules or do things correctly. As long as we can catch something with that method, then it's all good."