Chapter 3: Devil in my Genes

[Metro City, New York]
[City Hall Lobby]

I limped into the front door of the ornate, classical building, pouring into the lobby and dumping the slumbering vampire woman into one of the lobby seats. She stirred, rolling into a ball and dropping onto the floor, hitting her head on the marbled floor. I winced, pulling away from, not just because she probably was going to wake up from that, but also because I had just dropped a poor lady on her head!

"Young boy, have you any idea what you think you're doing?!" I heard the familiar voice of Cody's red headed assistant pierce through my ears. I turned to her, seeing her gasp when she noticed all the blood that had soaked into my clothes, "Cody! Get in here!" she yelped, sprinting away through some double doors that lead down a hallway...

The instant she cleared the way, Cody came right back out those doors, holding her in the air by her arms with one hand and reasoning with her, "What's gotten into you?" he quirks a brow, scanning the room and then noticing me. He blinks, dropping his assistant who quickly hid behind him, and put out his arms, "Hey kid, you're pretty early...aching to get those chains off or do you really wanna fight me?" he tilts his head, noticing the strange vampire woman I had just carried in here.

"...You know..." he scratches the back of his head, "I don't mean to tell another man his business, but all do respect, this isn't exactly the best look. Coming in here like that...What's the deal?"

"She attacked me!" I explain defensively, "and I didn't know what to do with her..."

He fixes his posture, running his thumb over his nose to fill the space with some kind of gesture, and then smirking, dismissing the situation, "Good to see you're smart enough to know that doesn't excuse you from class, off to a pretty good start."

"Mayor Cody! You can't possibly believe that this woman simply attacked him, why would he carry her around like that?!" His assistant argued, stepping away from him and putting her hands on her hips, "You brought a criminal into the town hall, now I'm going to have to clean up this mess!" she huffed, pulling out her phone (presumably to call the police), but she didn't get to dial a single button before Cody snatched it from her hands,

"Relax...I can read the kid like a poker hand, he wouldn't do something like that." he put the phone away in his coat pocket, "And besides, if he assault her or whatever, why would he take her here of all places? Seems pretty dumb if you ask me..." He pulled out yet another pair of manacles and started to approach the vampire and I.

With a loud, snorting inhale, the vampire rose to her feet, red, viper like eyes shooting open after she had gotten back up, "...Hmm?!" She looked around the room, adjusting to where she had woken up. "...where is this? Did Renaldo crash the bus? What a useless man..." she yawns cutely, stretching back her arms dramatically, and shutting her lips with a smack.

Cody paused, slowly pocketing the chains and narrowing his eyes at the stranger.

"Young lady, are you okay?" his assistant barreled past Cody....or at least tired to before he threw out his arm and stopped her; he too sensed a strong semblance of danger from the vampire...even if he didn't realize why.

"I'm not a young lady!" Eliza stomped her foot, "I am one thousand years and four months! I'm almost a millennia your senior..." she tiredly seemed to be angered by the implication that she was even near young, she took pride in her infinitely larger perspective.

"A thousand years?!" the assistant snapped, "Now you're messing with me! You are no better than that other kid..." she sighs, fixing her glasses and quickly losing interest in the situation, "I will let you deal with your own mess..." she grumbles as she walked out of the nearly empty lobby room.

"A thousand years huh...?" Cody crossed his arms, having a level of uncharacteristic skepticism of her, "And your names is...?"

"Eliza," she responds, raising a finger to her lips and licking off a drop of dried blood, "...So good..." she added with a breathy whimper that was almost a yawn.

"Why did you attack my director?" he calmly, but firmly, dug into her.

"I was just hungry, I wouldn't have needed to attack him if he would've just given me his blood...now if you don't mind...I have to..." she raised her arms in a massive, exaggerated motion, before reeling it in with her palm in front of her mouth...While you guessed it, yawning, "...catch up on some sleep..." she turned and tried to leave-but with a nod from Cody, I stepped in front of her and grabbed hold of her wrist.

She didn't react at first, just nonchalantly tried to shake me off of her with as little effort as possible...but once she noticed the black markings in the back of my hand her eyes lit up with newfound energy. "You have the devil gene!" She gasped, pulling against my grip and easily breaking it, before taking my hand and studying it.

"...No wonder your blood was so delicious..." she thinks out loud, biting her lower lip with her sharp, white fangs. "Such an easy snack with such a decadent flavor..." she begins speaking like Cody and I aren't even in the room, "...Forget Renaldo...I think I'll make you my new 'bus boy'~" She purrs, scooping my legs out from under me before my eye could process, and starting to bridal carry me out of the building.

Once I realized what happened, and felt myself cradled to her chest, my cheeks started warming up with a deep red, my heart fluttering in that familiar way of being overwhelmed...but...in a good way.

"Not so fast, sparkles!" Cody quipped, sprinting up behind Eliza and wrapping his arms around her waist, "Sorry kid!" He growls, before suplexing her behind him. Eliza lost her grip on me half way through the arc, sending me away from her and landing on my back. I launched to my feet, just in time to see him get one arm of the manacle onto her.

"You think those silly chains can hold me?" she snickers, reaching up to claw at his face, but Cody weaves back away from her, jumping to his feet and jerking the other end of the chain-pulling her up with him. He pulls her onto his knee, and in one clean motion, slaps the other end of the cuffs to her other wrists.

"Can't just have you running off with my director!" He grips onto her chains, fighting against her pulling against it. Strangely, she didn't seem to have any actual desire to hurt him back, just leave.

"You can have Renaldo, I don't need a bus driver anymore!" she reasons, eventually pulling herself out of his grip and falling onto the ground. She pouted, holding the chains up in front of her face, "You can keep him during the day if you take these off..."

"I'm-I'm not something you can just own!" I stammer out, secretly not super opposed to having to be around her all day as long as she didn't suck me dry like a mummy.

"All blood bags say that for the first ten years..." she yawns, dropping onto her back and pulling the chains apart as hard as she could trying to snap them, "Still not enough power..." she idly comments, annoyed that such an 'insignificant' thing was causing her problems.

"You know I'm kinda starting to wish you would've just dumped her in a gutter after knocking her out," Cody grit his teeth, "I'd offer to lock her up but dealing with a vampire just isn't in this year's budget..."

"Wait-don't lock her up!" I interject, "I have a lot I need to ask her..."

"Well I'll keep that between you and her as long as she doesn't kidnap or murder you, I think she and I are square," Cody rubs the back of his head, watching her try to pull the chains apart.

"Help me get these chains off and I'll answer any question he has..." Eliza stops pulling, calmly arching her back and stretching.

"Yeah yeah...and why should we trust a thing like you?" Cody pops his neck, kneeling down next to her.

"Hmmph, I am not so petty as to break a deals with things like you, I have no need for such deceptions...if I wanted to I could claw what I wanted out of you..." Eliza huffs, sitting up and putting out her arms, "I'll show you that I'm no liar..."

We all stare at each other for a long silence. Cody starting to fish a key out of his coat and then tossing it to me, "You've taken her once, surely you can take her again right?" he smirks, "I'll leave this up to you."

"Hmmph, is that what he told you?" Eliza flashed her teeth.

I catch the key, turning it over in my hand, eyeing up the vampire who was stretching across the floor like a lazy cat, "Answer me first and then I'll unlock it," I demand.

"You've already established yourself to be a liar by claiming you were the one who defeated me..."

"I didn't say that..."

"You could've said anything while I was asleep..."

I groan, sticking the key into one of the manacles and popping them off, instantly she floated over us and landed on the unmanned reception desk, "What is your question?" She drifts to sitting, crossing her legs, "I have over one thousand years of knowledge, I hold answers a little demon like you couldn't possibly know..."

"Yeah yeah...what the fuck is a devil gene?" I cross my arms, expecting a long, expository answer, but instead all I got was a shrug from Eliza and a soft-

"I'm not sure..." she puts a finger to her lips, "I haven't encounter the devil gene in over five hundred years..."

"You seemed to know enough about it to recognize I have it instantly!"

"Yes...that tattoo...you must be from one of the bloodlines, at least...distantly..." she yawns, rolling her shoulders as she speaks, "I do know that it makes your blood delicious and verry filling..." she purrs, eyeing me up like a thick cut of meat, "made me wish I could just feed on you nice and slowly..." she coos.

"...You know more..."

"I do...but I don't know what, maybe be better at asking questions next time, silly boy~"

"...Fine...why do you know about the devil gene?" Maybe some context would work wonders in figuring out what's going on in my body if this is some kinda of gene.

"I could answer that...if you gave me a little something else for it..." She smirks.

"...Fine, if I let you drink my blood when I have more to drink, then will you answer more questions? You have thousands of years of experience, as you said...you have to know a lot more..."

"...I was going to drink your blood later anyways, no amount of your dealing was going to stop me," she steps off the table, starting to saunter up to me, Cody came in to interject himself but she glided around him like she danced on darkness itself. She got behind me, wrapping an arm around my waist, and planting a hand on my cheek-pulling my head aside to expose my neck.

I could feel her hot breathing cascade down my back and down my shirt, "...Savory and indulgent, finer than the oldest of wines..." she nuzzles her nose into my neck, "So had to stop myself from sucking down every...last...drop~!" She giggled. I grabbed around of her arm, fighting against her strength, and this time she let me go instantly.

"But I suppose I will humor you, it flows so much better if I can get you nice and relaxed before I start draining..." She backs up, starting to walk away from the both of us while stretching, "And because...you aren't a pain in my neck like most humans are..." she sits down in one of the reception area chairs, resting her head on her hand and crossing her legs.

"...When they find out I'm...what I am they really like to...cause problems," she yawns yet again, leaning into the chair while she arcs her back, "...but you...you gave me..." her eyes fluttered shut, and just as suddenly as she had awoken; she had fell back asleep.

Just like that? Ow my arm-

"Maybe I should try to pick up the women that attack me more often," Cody chuckles after punching me in the arm, "Now that we got those problems taken care of, lets get something to eat and get that smack down I owe ya, little devil."
"W-what do you mean pick up women that attack you?"
"...You didn't see it? Ah man, that vampire is all kinds of thirsty..." He smirks

"F-for me? No way..." I deny, shaking my head, "Women don't...r-really..." my voice trails off as I go deeper into thought....I couldn't help but remember how she put her arms on, how she laid herself on top of me...but I quickly snapped out of it, "She probably treats all her targets like that..."

"Mmmm....if you say so," Cody shrugged, "Anyways, lets get this show on the road."