Ukyou

Maomao wondered how this could be. Shishou's stronghold was supposed to have been sealed off; it made no sense for something from there to be here. Even if the clan's possessions had been moved out of the fortress, the fact that she had found one of them here in this marketplace implied some shady dealings somewhere along the line.

Hrrmm.

Well, if that was the game that was afoot, then Maomao had an idea.

She found the culprit quickly. And how? It was really quite simple.

"Young lady, you can't call me all the way out here just for something like this."

The annoyed speaker was Lihaku, and despite his complaint, he was eagerly trying to get a good look at the Verdigris House. They were in Maomao's apothecary shop, Lihaku's considerable bulk making the place feel even more cramped than usual.

"I don't have time to go chasing after petty thieves," Lihaku added, glancing toward the ceiling of the atrium, hoping to catch a glimpse of a countenance like a blossoming flower. Specifically, of Pairin, one of the Three Princesses of the Verdigris House.

Lihaku, a soldier and acquaintance of Maomao's, was head over heels in love with Pairin. Coming to a brothel, however, took money—so Maomao, as a friend of Pairin's, knew that Lihaku would come running whenever she might have a request to make of him. And today, her request was this: that he keep an eye out in the market for any stolen goods that might be circulating. Specifically, books.

Encyclopedias were unusual; if one had been stolen, it would be easy to trace when it was sold. And because the thief might go to any number of shops besides the used-book place Maomao had visited, she wanted Lihaku to be on the alert.

"Hah! Well, you'll be glad to know I've been watching the place all morning."

"You didn't ask one of your subordinates to do it?" Apparently he'd been so set on making a good impression that he'd handled the matter himself. Given that it was still the cold season, it was a pretty good effort to stake a place out.

Lihaku handed Maomao a package. A gift of rice dumplings. He accompanied it with another glance toward the atrium. He seemed to be suggesting that he and Maomao should have tea together—and that she should call Pairin to snack with them. But Maomao still needed something from him first.

"Where's your captive?"

"Out front. One of your guys is watching him."

"Ah."

Maomao looked out the window to see two of the brothel's guards standing on either side of an emaciated, beardless man. He was wearing fairly heavy clothes—in fact, Maomao recognized the cotton-padded jacket. It was dusty and obviously hadn't been washed in days, but she knew it.

Well, now... Where had she seen him before?

"Hey!" Lihaku called, but Maomao ignored him; she put on her shoes and headed toward the men. Flanked by the two large guards, the thief looked smaller than he actually was.

"Don't get any closer. He's dangerous," one of the guards, a long-serving manservant, said, catching Maomao by the collar. She hated being handled like a cat, but this was how it had always been, ever since she was little. She didn't bother squirming away, but only looked at the thief.

He didn't say anything. She didn't say anything. But their eyes met, and he studied her face for a second—and then he went pale. He opened his mouth, and what should he say but, "Snake girl!" He shouted so loud, he sprayed flecks of spittle.

"Hey, I think you mean cat girl," the guard said teasingly. The other one laughed.

Oooh, Maomao fumed.