The Last Volume

Gaoshun's son Basen came knocking on the door of the apothecary shop with several volumes of the encyclopedia. Maomao offered the young man (who looked every bit as put out as usual) the battered cushion and poured some tea for him.

"Master Jinshi is busy," Basen said. Evidently meaning he didn't have the spare time to be coming here.

The reason he was still using Jinshi's "eunuch name" was partly as an alias, but chiefly because Basen simply couldn't speak his true name. The names of nobles were not to be pronounced lightly in the hearing of commoners.

The courtesans of the Verdigris House were all aflutter to see Maomao entertaining someone other than the usual beauty and his attendant. The madam, in particular, was trying to act nonchalant, but Maomao could see the abacus working in her head.

Unlike when she was with Jinshi, the door to the shop remained open while Basen was present, their dealings completely visible to the world. Perhaps it was an act of consideration on Basen's part, a way of showing that nothing inappropriate was happening between them.

"I've brought what you asked for," Basen said, and undid a package wrapped in cloth to reveal several thick books, one of which Maomao recognized quite well. An encyclopedia of bugs, part of a set that included books about birds, fish, and plants as well. Maomao's interests were primarily herbal in nature; she'd devoured the volume on plant life, but this one on bugs she'd merely skimmed.

I hope it's in here, she thought. Sazen had said her predecessor had been working on research regarding locusts. It must be here. But she didn't see it. No matter how many times she looked, she couldn't find anything on them. Eventually, even Basen started flipping the pages, searching for the elusive entry.

"It's not in here?" he finally asked.

"It would seem not."

"You said it would be."

So what if she had? What wasn't there, wasn't there. It was confusing at best, though. Had Sazen pulled a fast one on them? Not likely; what would he get out of it?

"Did anyone handle this book while it was in storage?" Maomao asked, even though she knew that this was to cast suspicion on the soldier who'd obtained it.

"Who would be interested in something like this?"

"People like what they like."

Nonetheless, the possibility seemed remote. If someone was going to loot the place, there were more obviously valuable things to steal.

Maomao groaned dispiritedly, but then she spotted someone coming toward the shop. Someone moving with all the grace of a willow tree in a gentle breeze, yet profoundly well-endowed—it was her older sister Pairin.

Maomao watched her with a scowl forming on her face. The madam was trailing behind Pairin, making no effort to stop her. She'd already sized up Basen, it seemed.

Pairin was a very pleasant courtesan. She was the oldest one working at the Verdigris House, but her beauty was undiminished, and she still caught the eye of many a man. The big dog—Lihaku—was a prime example. She was also reputed to be the greatest dancer in the capital. Not to mention a fine older sister; she was always kind to the younger courtesans and the apprentices.

However, she wasn't without her faults.

Pairin sidled up and stood behind Basen—then ran one beautiful, shapely finger along his cheek.

Basen just about jumped out of his skin, although he somehow managed to remain seated while he did it. No, it might not make much sense, but evidently he was agile enough to "jump" without ever getting up.