Bridge Over Troubled Water

DAISY DAWSON

Nightmares were never real.

Yesterday was. 

I consciously awoke before my eyes had hoping the longer they stayed shut the longer I could postpone and avoid the day, opening them would only reveal the problematical factors that I would face were laying in a sweet slumber beside me, in this moment not even a jury couldn't determine him guilty - a true fraud, a devil in disguise, a beautiful being capable of humanities greatest sins yet can lay beside you cuddled into your chest and convince you otherwise.

I traced every line and and contour of his face as I usually did to stir him out of sleep, we had fallen asleep entangled with one another on the hardwood floor of our apparent new home.

Our new home was built on the same foundation as our relationship - power and vulnerability, our relationship began with him holding every power, he intimidated me, he liked having control, I gave myself to him yet I learnt his inner workings like cogs in a pocket watch - 

A complex matter of working pieces that are intricately place with a gentle touch, no ordinary person can sit and casually create a giver of time, yet you can innocently hold it in the palm of your hand.

Rafe showed a little more of himself everyday but I had learnt more than he knew, that was power.

He stirred before opening his eyes to lock with mine, we both knew the consequence of his actions but they were now mine the same way he was. He stretched, groaning at his achy muscles from the solid floor.

"I need to go get some of my stuff from my room, will you take me?" my voice was drained.

"Of course"

I slumped myself on the back of his bike, taking the helmet out from his grasp, hiding myself behind the headgear. 

I laced my hands around his torso, as he began to rev the engine. As we drove past the houses of Kildare's figure 8, my nerves started to get the better of me.

I don't want to see my parents.

I don't want to see my dad.

We pulled up into the driveway to the place I once called home, I sat there for a moment thinking of ways to get in without being seen. 

"I'll wait out here for you." Rafe spoke up as I continued to sit there in silence.

I nodded as I got off the bike, removing the helmet from my face and handing it to him. I began to walk off, before being pulled back to face him.

"Hey" he starts, sorting out my messy hair from the helmet.

"I'll go over and get the property sorted out, you will never have to call this place home again" he longed into my eyes.

"Only me" he kissed my forehead.

A soft smile towed at my lips, I turned looking up a the building that got me in this mess, taking a deep breath, I headed inside, the house had a chill - unheard of in North Carolina

The light was almost grey like all the warm tones had been sucked out of it, the kitchen was scattered with a few empty bottles and glasses proving there had been no family breakfast and it was still, eerily still, I stepped lightly through the house inspecting every corridor and doorway for a sign of anyone but I seemingly had gotten lucky, I snuck into my room.

A chill over running my spine to find my balcony door still slightly ajar from the night I made my escape, I sighed out focusing back on the task at hand, I didn't want to stay here a minute more than I needed, I scurried about shoving the necessary items into my bag. The creaking of my door caused me to gasp as I spun to face it.