Chapter 11

April 23, 2018

Mi-young just turned ten months today. I couldn't believe it's been almost a year since she was born, but it's also been four months since Jonghyun's death. The passage of time felt both swift and stagnated as I watched my little girl grow. Today, she stood beside the coffee table, her small hands gripping the edge tightly, determination etched across her face. She was on the verge of taking her first steps, and my heart swelled with pride and bittersweetness.

My fellow SHINee members surrounded us in the living room, sharing this milestone. Taemin's warm and supportive smile voiced what we were all thinking. "She's so cute," he remarked, his voice filled with genuine adoration.

Minho nodded in agreement, holding my phone ready to capture the momentous occasion. "Yeah, she's going to be a little star, just like her dad," he said, his words laced with laughter and a touch of sadness.

As I watched Mi-young waver on her unsteady feet, a mixture of emotions washed over me. Proud fatherhood intertwined with a sense of longing for Jonghyun's presence. I wished he could be here, celebrating this milestone with us, witnessing the indomitable spirit of my little princess.

"You can do it!" I said with encouragement, my voice breaking through the air.

But even in the face of grief, I knew it was essential to cherish these precious moments and carry on for the sake of Mi-young. She deserved a world filled with love and joy.

With a silent prayer, I extended my arms towards my daughter, urging her to take those first steps towards independence. Mi-young's dark eyes sparkled with determination as she released her grip on the coffee table, her tiny legs wobbling uncertainly. Time seemed to hold its breath as she took one unsteady, wobbly step... and another.

The room erupted in cheers and applause as Mi-young, her face a mixture of triumph and concentration, toddled towards me. Tears pricked at my eyes, brimming with equal parts joy and sadness, as I scooped her up in my arms. Holding her close, I whispered words of love and pride into her soft tufts of hair, feeling a sense of fulfillment that surpassed anything I had ever experienced.

As the claps and cheers subsided, I looked around at my SHINee brothers. Their smiles were radiant, filled with love and support. We had an unspoken understanding, a shared bond that grew stronger with each passing day. Together, we were navigating the joys and challenges of life, and I knew we would always be there for one another.

At that moment, I felt an urge to share this milestone with our fans on social media. It was a way to bring them into our lives and let them witness the joy we experienced in these small but significant moments. However, the safety and well-being of Mi-young always came first, which led me to hesitate.

After contemplating, I decided to call my manager, knowing she had experience handling delicate situations like this. I wanted her advice on sharing this special moment without compromising Mi-young's privacy and safety.

Dialing her number, I paced the room, clutching my phone tightly. The line rang several times before her familiar voice emanated from the other end.

"Hello, Key, what can I do for you?" she asked, her tone filled with professionalism and concern.

Taking a deep breath, I gathered my thoughts and explained the situation. "Hey, I hope you're doing well. Mi-young just took her first steps, and it was an amazing moment for all of us. I want to share it with our fans, but I also want to ensure her safety and privacy. Do you have any advice on how we can handle this?"

There was a slight pause as my manager absorbed the situation before responding, "I understand your desire to share this precious moment, but it's important to consider Mi-young's safety. What if we share a carefully selected photo or a brief video that showcases her achievement without revealing too much personal information? We can also ask fans to respect her privacy and not share images further. Additionally, we can monitor the comments and ensure a positive and respectful environment for everyone."