Chapter six - Azza Village

Ahren, Ahren Forest
Azza Village

Lydia Hollow

The trees around us groaned as we walked slower now, following Dorian. Our footsteps stand out in the silence. I've been counting the minutes since we got into this woods, and if I'm counting right we've been here for about seventeen minutes now. Fern had jumped from my arms and decided to walk while holding my hand a while ago, and the speed of our walking has lessened by the minute. We're getting tired. I can sense it. Fern probably does, too. Devan has even stopped flying and has been walking for about five minutes now.
My mind brings up the Vinets and impulsively I hold my hand up to my center and look at it. But when expecting to see cuts and bruises I see nothing of the kind. Everything has healed and looks like nothing ever happened.
"Does it feel better?" Fern asks to my left. I look down at her. "Hm?"
"Your hand. I healed it." my eyebrows raise in realization as I put the pieces together. Her tears, I think to myself. Empathic Elves' tears contain healing properties... Fern smiles and looks ahead again.
Lizx... I hope you're okay back there.

About an hour goes by and Fern had grown tired of walking, so I carried her again. As the sun set seemingly faster every minute, I began to worry about where we would rest for tonight. We can't walk in the Ahren Forest for much longer, and we have to confirm the plan. We rushed out of the Corren tribe in such a hurry that any plan we had before was completely thrown out the window.
Suddenly, Elara turns to me and Dorian is in front of me.
"We need to find somewhere to rest. I don't know where we are, so I can't say if we're close to any villages. I'm sorry." Dorian said shamefully. My eyes glance down at Fern who appears to be asleep, then I sigh. "It's not your fault, Dori. It's mine. I should have kept track of where we are, too." Dorian's ears droop down as Elara steps forward. "You can't think like that. We were rushed." Dorian nods. "But I should have ignored all that and focused on what was important." Devan walks toward us and joins the circle we are in.
"That doesn't matter. You did the best you could under the circumstances. But now we need a safe place to rest until morning. So, get yourself together, take a deep breath, and make a brilliant Lydia plan to save the day." I smile at Elara, then take a deep breath. Okay, we just need a safe place to rest Lydia... we don't know where we are... but we've been in here for about an hour and a half now. We have no way of knowing where we are... we're not safe just standing around on the ground... wait... Devan.
My eyes dart to Devan, then to a clearing in the trees as I walk to it. "What's the plan, Dia?" Elara asks, her hand on her hip. "Devan," he steps forward, "how are your wings?" he flaps them, a smug look crossing his face. "Good. Can you please fly up and let us know where we are?" Devan nods and flaps his wings twice before leaving the ground and disappearing through the clearing.
Devan places his hand on my shoulder. We exchange smiles, then promptly look back up waiting for Devan to come back.
Within about thirty or fourty seconds, Dorian comes back and hovers above the ground. "There's a village straight ahead to the right. It's not far!"
Dorian suddenly steps up. "I know where we are now! Good job, Lydia." Dorian exclames with excitement as Devan mumbles, "hey, what about me," then hovers behind me and Elara.
Within minutes we're at the village and greeted by an eleven Elfin girl with light green skin and purplish pink shoulder length hair with a Daisy in her hair. Her face lights up when she sees us and she immediately runs to us, her mother following quickly behind her.
"Hello! Welcome to Azza village! Are you looking to stay, or are you in need of directions?" she excitedly asks, her mother finally catching up to her and placing a hand on her shoulder. "Did you hear me, mama, did you hear me?" her mother smiles, "yes, dear, go inside, now," the child nods and runs away, disappearing into one of the houses.
"I apologize. My daughter is a very curious child. Now, let's get you all to Cyrus." Dorian steps forward, and the woman's expression lightens. "Oh, Dorian! Good to see you. How's the tribe- oh, you have somewhere to be, excuse me!" she chuckles to herself as she walks away. I catch Dorian's pained expression as he walks past me. He's probably glad she left. He must be so worried...
As we enter the largest house, the conversation comes to an abrupt halt, and eyes glue to us. "Dorian! What brings you here?" a tall, muscular man steps forward, crossing his arms and smiling brightly. "We just need a safe place to rest. We'll be out of your hair in the morning, don't worry." Cyrus bellows a laugh. "Dorian, you can stay as long as you please. Anything to help a friend, and Forest Ranger Captain!" Dorian smiles. "Thank you, sir!"

After a young Elfin girl in her mid twenties allowed us to stay in her house, I immediately collect every blanket and pillow from every room and lay them out on the floor. They all find a spot and set up a 'bed' in a circle around the small table in the middle of the room. Once everyone has a place to sleep, I stand by the window and look up at the clear dark blue sky with no moons but stars dot everywhere.
Minutes pass and everyone seems to be fast asleep. I look down at Fern who's still asleep in my arms and smile. Suddenly, a hand touches my shoulder and Dorian steps forward next to me. He looks at me with tired eyes and a smile. "You should get some rest. You've been carrying Fern around all afternoon, and we need to leave as soon as we can tomorrow. Besides, you've earned it." Dorian's tired smile persuades me as I sigh and lay Fern down on the couch and lay in the dark green heavy blanket I found and three pillows.
As my eyes grow heavy, I look at Dorian, assured that he's keeping watch but a pit of shame forms in my gut.