Chapter ten - Regret and Rage

Ahren, Ahren Forest
Elfish Tribes, Coren Tribe

Lydia Hollow

I stand in the far corner of the cave in silence, the memories going haywire in my mind. I'm not paying attention to anything happening around me.
My head is loud, and I feel a headache starting to throb in my temples and the back of my head. But I am still, and quiet, staring off into space while my mind runs rampant with memories and thoughts
I faintly hear muffled words around me, but they sound distanced.
"Lydia." Dorian's calm but concerned voice pierces through my daze, and his voice isn't muffled.
"Hm," is all I hum. He sighs. "Lydia, this is not your fault."
I say nothing. I don't move.
I feel his hand gently grab my shoulder, and I finally look up at him as he smiles softly.
In the corner of my eye, I see Onibi approach us. She stands to my left with her arms crossed, her eyes red and puffy, but kind. "It's fine, really. This isn't your fault." Her sad smile doesn't quite fit her words, but I can tell she means them. I faintly smile back, but her words don't reach my head.
Suddenly behind Onibi, Devan screams. When Onibi jumps and steps aside to look too, behind Devan is Lynora, the female of the twins Lynora and Lynit; also Forest Rangers on Dorian's A Team. She has her hands on Devan's shoulders and a wide grin spread on her face as she spooks him.
"Lynora!" Dorian exlames, stepping forward next to me. Lynora's perceptive eyes flick to Dorian and her smile grows wider as she lets go of Devan's shoulders and steps forward next to him. "Hey, Dev!" She exclaimed, before turning her head to her right slightly as she adds, "Lynit!"
A small squeal sounds from behind her, as her twin brother Lynit steps forward next to her and smiles shyly towards us.
"Hey, Dorian..." he mumbles to Dorian. Dorian chuckles softly. "What are you two doing here?" He asks, his smile heard in his voice. "Lizx sent us to make sure you all got back safely. The rest of the team is looking out in the Forest," Lynit informs, until Lynora buds in. "You're all here, and uninjured right?"
Everyone's expression drops, sadness staining their faces. Including mine, which also holds guilt. No one answers her, so I break the silence.
"There's been one casualty, and a discovery." Lynora's expression flashes sadness, and she looks at me. "O- Oh...I'm sorry." I hold back tears as her eyes pierce into mine. "I think an Elfish Tribe Council Meeting is in order," I add, Lynora's expression shifting to one of attentiveness. She looks to Dorian, who nods, and then she nods, and runs out of the cave, leaving Lynit alone. He glances nervously up at me and shyly smiles. "Your sister is scary," Devan says to Lynit. Lynit chuckles, a little less shyly. "She's definitely got a strong personality..." he admits. I smile at their interaction, then sigh, before Inara places her hand on my shoulder. I turn to look at her. "Let me speak with Ferlin. I assume they are still out of line?"
Dorian sighs sharply. "Yes. They've nearly pushed the Coren Tribe into the Swamp, and there's a murderer. We've found several Coren Tribe Elves dead, and the Tribe and the Rangers are beginning to suspect that Norin Zorrick, leader of the Ferlin tribe is to blame." I catch a pained look from Onibi, and she steps forward. "I- I believe...I am to blame," she mutters guiltily. Dorian's expression suddenly flashes with fury, and his eyes narrow coldly as he quickly turns to Onibi.
"What?" he says through gritted teeth. Onibi squints her eyes and her eyebrows lift, as her expression takes on a more apologetic look. "I-...I was possessed. The Dark Entity spoke to me, controlled me. The time I was possessed is like a nightmare to me. I can only remember vague things, but I have memories of..." she pauses, carefully choosing her words while Dorian's intense glare pierces into her. "...of stalking Elves, and," she stops again, Dorian's cold glare cutting through her. Dorian angrily steps forward. "And?"
Onibi's eyes widen and tears fill them.
"And killing them." She answers through tears. I see Dorian's eyes flicker red, and I grab his arm tightly when he nearly runs at her. "Dorian," I say, trying to urge him to calm down. He looks at me, his eyes flickering between red and green, when they suddenly fill with tears. His look of rage quickly fades away, and is replaced with distraughtness, as I pull his arm and wrap my arms around his shoulders in a tight hug. His arms quickly squeeze around my torso, his hands trembling slightly. Oh, Dorian... they were your friends. I sympathize. "I- I'm sorry, who is this?" Lynit stammers, pointing to Onibi. I squeeze Dorian one last time before stepping back, watching his expression closely as I finally turn to Lynit. "This is Onibi. She is Fern's sister..." Lynit nods, acknowledgingly, as his sister quickly returns.
"Shall we begin our travels?" I look back at Dorian. He nods. I look at Elara, Devan, Inara and now, Onibi. They all nod, silently, and we walk outside the cave to be met by Dorian's A Team standing guard in the entrance of the Forest behind a few bushes.
"Dorian!" A strong voice calls out, and as we meet them in the trees, a girl with short dark brown hair turns her head towards us with a wide smile. Everyone with her turns around as well, smiling softly once their eyes meet ours. But I notice that only three other Rangers are with her. "Kayla, glad to see you. Where's everyone?" Dorian asks, his voice now toned down to a more calm level than before. Kayla nods. "Lizx sent us to ensure you and your friends' safe return. She did not inform us of her intentions for sending only us." Dorian nods, considering her words carefully. Lynit quickly and quietly joins the small group, standing shyly behind Lynora's bold and confident figure. "Alright, Dorian murmurs. "We'll set out at once. If our energy doesn't last, we will set up camp and rest."
Dorian's team nods, as Elara, Inara and Devan join us, a determined look on their faces. But I turn when I don't see one blue-toned face, and I see Onibi standing behind me with a shy look and her eyes avert to the ground when I see her. "U- Um... would you mind if I...joined you?" she murmurs. I smile, and hold out my hand to her. She lifts her head up, a look of surprise crossing her face. "Of course, Onibi. Come on, let's go." Her lips curve into a small smile, and she walks past me to my right, as I pause, then turn and behind walking. I notice Dorian's troubled eyes glancing at me, then he looks ahead. I frown, but don't press him for any explanation.
Within about an hour of walking, Devan begins to complain about his wings. "Then walk, Devan," I say absently to him while I study a few spells in my book as we walk. I hear him reluctantly groan, and the flapping of his wings stops as his footsteps are added to ours. We continue for what feels like another thirty minutes, when Devan complains of being bored. I sigh, and I'm about to reply, when Connie's light voice breaks the silence. "How 'bout I hum a little Elfish tune, Devan?" I see Lynit smile, and Kayla grinning at Connie. "Okay..." Devan sighs in a pouty tone. Connie takes a deep breath, before beginning to hum. Her voice is so smooth on the air, and I can almost hear the lyrics of the Elfish lullaby in her hums. I smile softly, vanishing my book to my right as I turn my attention to Connie and listen in while we continue our journey. Her rhythmic hums are quite soothing and comforting, and Connie seems like a princess straight from a fairytale. Kayla shifts her path to walk next to me and nudges me softly. "Connie's our best singer," she smiles down at me. I nod up at her. "Her voice is very soothing. Does she have any siblings?" Kayla's smile fades, and she glances at Connie to make sure she isn't listening. Once she is sure that she is still distracted by her humming, she turns back to me and whispers softly, "her little brother passed away about a year ago. She was sixteen." My heart drops, as I process her words. "Oh... that's terrible," I murmur back to her. She smiles, and huffs a laugh. "She never stopped smiling, though. In fact, she started to sing and hum more often. It's like that was her way of coping or something," she whispers as she leans back to her normal head up, confident stride. My gaze turns to Connie; her pale-yellow skin and short and curly blonde hair that seems to shine when the sunlight falls on her through the trees. My look of sympathy turns to one of contentment as she finishes her hum, and the air falls silent around us. Her eyes catch my gaze, and she looks at me attentively with her wide, bright yellow eyes. I smile. "That was beautiful, Connie," I say softly. Her cheeks flush a light orange color, and she nods to me. "Thank you."
The walk continues until we all show signs of exhaustion; Devan whining, and all of our paces slowing until we're walking quite slowly. Dorian suddenly spins around, all of us pausing. "Let's rest here for now," he sighs, firmly, to make it sound like an order. We all nod, and Devan lets out a relieved sigh, as we all settle in the middle of the path. I, however, decided to sit behind a large tree overlapping the path slightly. Dorian slumps down and sits next to me with a tired sigh, as I read my spell book. "Whatcha doing?" he asks, curiousness hiding behind his evidently exhausted voice. I hold up my left hand - the hand closest to him - and after a few quiet moments, a ball of light forms in my hands. The light slowly grows bigger, until it becomes a little larger than half the size of my hand, then I close my fingers on the ball of light, the light being immediately snuffed out. "Hm," Devan hums, his curiosity peaking his voice slightly. I sigh, and flip the page. "It's supposed to be faster than that," I grumble frustratedly as I focus on reading the next page, my brows furrowed. "Lydia," he says softly to get my attention. I turn my head to him. I see the sincere look on his face behind his tired eyes. "You're doing good."
I smile softly at his words, but then guilt clutches at me again. "I just wish I could be more helpful to everyone..."
Dorian places his hand on my shoulder, and I look at him. "You are helpful! You know more about Geography, you can speak multiple languages, you know international combat and battle skills and techniques, and you know Magic better than anyone I've ever met before. You're smart and good in a fight. That's a great thing, Lydia. You're a great thing." I smile, and my cheeks flush a little from the sudden compliments. Kayla suddenly sits down to my right with a heavy sigh. "Everyone's resting, they're all alright." My heart flutters a little with relief. I sigh, and I see Dorian dip his head in a nod in the corner of my eyes. "Thanks, Kay," he sighs. "Sure thing."
It's blissfully quiet for a few seconds. A few, quiet, calm seconds, before Devan calls me to make fire. Kayla grips my knee supportingly, before I take a deep breath and rise.
Connie and Lynit are sitting against a tree opposite from the one I came from, their legs stretched straight out on the side of the path. Lynora is sitting with her back straight and against the bark of the tree that Dorian and Kayla are behind, her eyes closed and her body still, but her mind is focused and she is alert. Elara is sitting on her knees in the middle of the path, Inara is leaning against the tree to the left of Connie and Lynit with Remi in her arms as she giggles. Oliver is standing with his shoulder leaning against the tree that Inara, Lynit and Connie are under, and he's fidgeting with the light brown fabric of the quiver attached to his waist by his belt. Devan is sitting across from Onibi on his knees with his wings wrapped around his shoulders, and Onibi is sitting with her knees to her chest and her chin resting on her knees.
I cross the path and scavenge the forest floor for small and dry sticks, as well as palm sized pebbles, then venture back to the road. I kneel beside Devan surrounding the open middle ground and place the rocks in a small circle around the sticks that I place in a tent shape. I take a deep breath and hover my hands over the sticks and stones on either side, then firmly recite the incantation words. "luminare."
A line of fire floods onto the sticks from my hands, and sparks crackle as the flames spread and invade the rest of the sticks. Once there is a small, steady fire, Lynora opens her eyes and leans forward, her eyes studying the campfire.
Devan's wings fold back against his back and he scoots closer to the fire. "Oh, thank you, Lydia," he says with a grateful look in his eyes, before they lay on the fire, his eyes reflecting the flickering yellow light.
Moments later, Dorian and Kalya join us and surround the small fire pit. As the sun is slowly pushed from the sky and its rays no longer light the Earth, it gets cooler. The fire soon becomes our only source of warmth and light. The night is quiet, but not an uneasy silence. More of a peaceful moment in time of which all our thoughts are finally allowed to roam free in our heads, each one receiving the same amount of attention and consideration. This is neither a good or bad thing. Unless your thoughts attack you all at once, screaming in your mind and shoving images in your face with desperation to be in the spotlight. Unless your thoughts revolve around the dead. Unless your thoughts are still stuck on Fern...
"Lydia," Dorian says, pulling me from my thoughts. I look to my right at him, as I realize that he probably asked me a question because everyone is looking at me expectantly. "Oh, Sorry Dorian. What did you say?" I query. He smiles at me, his face lit up by the bright flickering flames in front of him. "I was just telling everyone about your guitar," he answers. Inara cuts in from across the fire. "We'd really love to hear you play!" she remarks. My heart gives a sudden tug, and I feel a sense of dread gripping my gut. The last time I played my guitar was with my mother... I agonize. "Come on, Dia. it's been a while since we heard you play that old thing." Elara interjects my unsure expression. "I- I don't know," I stammer, as Oliver chuckles. "What's the matter? Forgot how to play," he playfully asks me sitting against the same tree he was leaning on before. 'Forgot'? Oh, no. I could never forget. Connie's lighthearted giggles cut the tension. "Don't worry, Lydia. I can sing something while you play. What do you know?" she asks. "Everything," Devan rolls his eyes to my left, as Elara nudges his shoulder sharply.
I look down at the campfire, enthralled by the way it mesmerizingly flows and flickers up, causing ripples in the air from the heat. The bright orange color quickly crackles away into a bright, light yellow; almost seeming white, until it vanishes from the cone-shaped points that leans and flickers, as if the flames are underwater. And the small combustion almost seems alive as it repeats itself over and over, and as the group waits attentively for my song choice. My eyes find Connie's again, filled with hesitancy. Her eyes glance down at the crackling fire for a second before she looks back to me. "How about, Rest now, Sweet Child?" She asks, her smile heard in her voice. My lips curl up into a small smile. "The Elfish Children's Lullaby, right?" I confirm, and she nods. All of their eyes watch me in suspense for my response.
I sigh, and summon my small, dark brown and gray guitar, my right fingers finding the strings reflexively, and my left fingers rest gently on the guitar's neck. They all clap and laugh and cheer, and Devan nudges my shoulder playfully, before they all quiet down and listen in. My eyes disappear into the fire as I begin to gently pluck the strings, the soothing tune of the Elfish Lullaby humming in the air.
Connie sways her head to the invisible beat, then sings. She sings the Elfish Lullaby, but her voice is soothing and so relaxing that everyone seems delighted, despite the language barrier. The lullaby's tune is soothing, and calm, but also has kind of a sad melody to it.
While I strum and Connie sings, a small female wood owl lands next to me, her wings flicking and then folding behind her. Her wide circular green eyes watch my every move; my strumming, the subtle bob of my head to the rhythm vibrating calmly in the air.
I look around the small campfire, observing the familiar faces around me, and their smiles. My thumb and index finger move by muscle memory, and I barely need to focus on my strumming.
The strumming and Connie's singing end, signaling the end of the song. I exhale quietly, and hold my guitar in a resting position, my eyes hopefully scanning everyone's face, gauging their reactions from their smiles.
Kayla grips Connie's shoulder with a wide smile. "That was great, guys," she affirms. Connie giggles softly to Kayla as a shy 'thank you', and I smile as a warm blush creeps up on my cheeks. Onibi and I lock eyes suddenly, and her eyes seem to have something to say. She stands suddenly, and her eyes are still locked to mine. "Onibi?" Dorian queries, confusion evident in his voice. "Where are you going next?" Onibi asks, straightforwardly. Dorian exchanges a glance with me, before we meet her eyes again. "After Ahren, our next stop is Freya. It's closest to Ahren, and it's just over the mountain." Her eyes stare into mine as I speak. "What about the box," she asks. "Do you know where it's from?" Everyone's eyes lock on me, her words and their eyes sending a chill down my spine.
"Calia," I answer. "The runemarks are Calinian. I don't know what they mean." Onibi's eyes study my every move with skepticism. "What do they mean," she presses. My eyebrows furrow, and I look up at her. "Believe me, I don't know." Onibi's eyes flicker all over my face, studying me carefully, as if her eyes alone are a lie detector. "Where is it," she asks. I fall silent, and my eyes fall down to the fire. "Lydia," Dorian murmurs to me. "What's going on?" I look to my right at him. He's smiling almost encouragingly, and when I meet his eyes he nods a few times. I sigh, and look at Elara across the fire, vanishing my guitar. "Thank you," I hold my hand out to her, as she nods and takes out the box and places it gently in my right hand. I hold it in front of me, and examine the runes once again in the firelight. Onibi sits closer in front of me, her eyes flicking back and forth from mine to the box. Everyone inches closer, circling around me as I run my finger along the side of the box where a runemark is. "This runemark here is Ancient Calinian. Sorceresses from long ago used Ancient Calinian for runemagic like rune spells and runic seals; like this box. The runes act as a puzzle activated lock that only opens once the Runemarked Calinian phrase is spoken correctly," I explain. Oliver clears his throat. "What's inside?" I look up from the box and at him. "There's no way of knowing. Sorceresses put many different things in sealed runic boxes. But usually always for the purpose of keeping whatever is inside inside."
"So, you're saying we shouldn't open it," Dorian nods. I flip the box so the other set of runes on the side is up. "I'm saying it would be difficult and dangerous to open it," I correct him, and Devan laughs. "In Lydia language, yes." I roll my eyes and look down at the runes again. "I'm saying it's unpredictable," I sigh. "But you can do it?" Onibi asks. I look up at her with a curious look. "I have the resources to, yes." She looks down at the box, and then at me. Her pink eyes seem to speak, but I can't understand or hear her. I wonder if she's an Empathic Elf, too, I inquire. I get the message, though, from the way she's looking at me and nod.
"I'll get on it," I say, looking back at the runes on the side. Onibi backs away and sits back down across the fire. "Does this mean we're going to Calia now?" Elara asks. Devan groans disapprovingly. "Calia's a whole ocean away!"
"We're sticking to the original plan. We'll go to Freya," I cut in, and Devan nods and leans back against the tree, his wings wrapping around him protectively, and his eyes shut. Devan is the first to sleep, then Oliver, then Inara, then Lynit, then Onibi, leaving me, Dorian, Kayla, Connie, Lynora and Elara awake. Lynora is sitting with her back against the large tree, sharpening her Coren Ranger sword, the scraping sound the only noise besides my thoughts. But her eyes slowly droop, and the crackling of the fire becomes the only sound, as I examine the black inked runes on the side of the box.
"Any progress?" Dorian quietly whispers to me. I slowly shake my head twice, my eyes glued to the box. "Don't stress. You've got all the time to figure it out until we get to Coren, and Freya," Kayla whispers from across the fire. I absently nod, my eyes not leaving the box. I feel Dorian's hand on my back. "Lydia. Everyone is asleep, maybe you should rest, too," he quietly says. I'm quiet for a moment before I eventually sigh, and look up at Dorian. He smiles reassuringly, as if his eyes are telling me 'it's alright, you can sleep,'. I look at Elara from across the small fire. "Would you hold it for me?" I ask. She smiles, tired in her eyes, and nods. I hand her the box and lay back on the ground, the back of my head on the cold ground. I see the Owl is still next to me, and she watches me with her round eyes, her head tilting as her eyes blink.
Dorian lays back next to me, our eyes staring up at the starlit sky. Within a few breaths, my eyes grow heavy and eventually close, and I drift off to sleep.

As the path begins to look more familiar, I look up at the sky from under the ominously dark and dead trees. It's about five-twenty in the morning... I estimate. "Lydia," Dorian grabs my attention, and then points forward; towards the Coren Tribe, and toward Lizx. I nod, solemnly, and we all approach.
Once we approach, I see that Lizx has a clipboard and a few Rangers from each team, who all have serious looks on their faces. "Lizx?" I gently interrupt. She turns and smiles absently at me, then her smile fades as she looks at all of us. She turns completely, facing us with her clipboard clutched to her chest. "Where's Fern?" Lizx asks, her words quick. My throat tightens, and my eyes brim with tears. I blink to clear my blurred vision, and try to keep the sorrow out of my eyes. Her eyes widen a fraction, and she quickly goes back to the selected Rangers and scribbles in her clipboard. My heart clenches and aches. "Lizx," Dorian steps forward, Lizx's scribbling continuing. "We need to have a Tribe Council Meeting." Lizx scoffs. "And what would come of that?" Her scribbles continue, and so does the silence. Lizx's scribbles stop, and she sighs short and quick. "What would come of a Tribe Council Meeting, if no one ever listens?"
Inara steps forward. "They will listen to me. I am the Sage of Life. I will talk to them; get them to correct their injustices." Lizx abruptly spins around, her fiery amber eyes piercing into Inara. "What 'injustices' do you know of, Sage?!" she snaps. Inara stays quiet. We all stay quiet. "You weren't there! You left! You left us to die, and now you return?"
"Lizx, please-" Lizx ignores Inara as she pleads on the verge of tears. "You left, and we needed you. Ahren needed you. The Tribes needed you- Coren needed you!" Inara sniffles, and looks down. "I know..." she croaks out, sniffling back her tears. Lizx pushes further. "You left us to die!"
"Lizx!" Dorian interrupts, stepping forward. "What!" Lizx shouts, her fiery fierce eyes cutting into Dorian now. But Dorian doesn't say anything. The two just stand staring at each other with matched intensity. "You're angry. I understand," he grinds out through gritted teeth. "But Inara didn't kill Harriet," his voice doesn't soften, it doesn't shake. Lizx's eyes widen, her fire growing, as if Dorian had stuck a spear through her chest just by saying that name. She breathes a heavy, angry breath, and then her eyes lose their intensity. "Yelling at her won't fix anything. I know you miss him, I know. I've lost people, too." He pauses, his ears flattening slightly. "So, take that anger you're feeling right now; that pent-up anger that you've kept in for so long, and use it to keep you going. Use it to finally avenge Harriet, and everyone else who didn't need to die." My heart flutters inside the clutch of grief as Dorian uses my words from earlier. I look to Lizx, and see her defensive stance reforms into a calmer one, her arms crossed. Her eyes drift to sniffling Inara, desperately trying to wipe her tears away before they can touch her cheeks, and she walks to her, quietly. She looks down at her for a moment, her expression unreadable, and then she wraps her arms around her small back and embraces her tightly. Inara sobs once into Lizx's shoulder, squeezing her torso, before Lizx positions her lips to the side of her face, next to her ear.
"I'm sorry. You didn't deserve that..." Inara sniffles for a moment, before her breaths even out. "You didn't deserve that," she rephrases, an underlying sense of rage behind her words as she hugs Inara closer to her.