Chapter eleven - A lot to discuss

Ahren
Elfish Tribes, Coren Tribe, Ferlin Tribe

Lydia Hollow          

           “Lydia?” Kazumi catches my attention. I look up at him from the Calinian box. His mouth opens, but then freezes, and closes again. I put the box down on my lap and give him my full attention. He tries again. “Where's Fern?” His voice is quiet, but I can hear him trying to sound authoritative. My heart clenches. “Fern… Fern was very brave,” I say, hoping he'll understand so I don't have to actually say it. His eyes widen slightly, before they soften and look down. “Oh.”
           A frown pulls at my lips, but then I smile reassuringly. I’m about to say more, but then Elara calls my name, as calmly as usual, while leaning against the wall in front of us. Our heads turn to her, then Kazumi looks across the couch at me. I stand from the couch with the box in my right hand, and before I follow Elara I nod to Kazumi, and he quickly nods back.
Elara leads me down the dark hallway, and when we reach the chipped gray painted door she opens it and steps to the side for me to enter. I walk in and hold the door open behind me, then lose it quietly once she walks past me and I turn around. Lizx is sitting at the large round table in the middle of the empty, dark room, the only light source a dim light that dangles from the ceiling in the center above the table. To her left sits Dorian, and next to him is Elise, his second in command. Next to Elise is Kamitra and Eldin who have their backs to us from their position at the table. To Lizx’s right is Ollilei and next to him is eyes half open Jordan, eyeing everyone in the room with an unreadable expression. And next to them is Kadence and surprisingly still Fon. I approach the table, standing in between Dorian and Lizx. Elara stands with her arms crossed and an unreadable expression as she watches Lizx from across the table, in between Jordan and Fon. Devan is standing with his wings folded behind his back and his arms crossed as his eyes dart curiously around the map of Aiyana spread on the table like a tablecloth. Inara stands with her eyes on Lizx, eagerly waiting for her to speak, while Onibi is sitting unseen on the dark purple, time-ruined couch hugging the far side of the room’s plain light gray wall in silence, her eyes unreadable as well as her expression.
Lizx clears her throat, and everyone’s eyes focus on her authoritative form.
“Thank you all for coming this afternoon. There are quite a few things we need to discuss,” she says, her voice strong and confident. She sounds uncharacteristically professional, and it shows in her tone. “First, present your discoveries and accomplishments.” She looks at Kamitra, and she nods firmly, her blue hair falling from her shoulder in a swift motion. “The Krill attack has unfortunately brought down the number of trainees, but not by too much. The Elves are all trained in at least one weapon, and Eldin has been making good progress with them,” Eldin nods once. “Yes. I believe that there will be enough Rangers to double our Teams.” “fourteen Rangers on each team?” Elise confirms. Eldin looks at her and nods shyly before leaning back and slumping in his chair.
Lizx looks at Ollilei, and his eyes widen as he stammers. “N- No new bodies of water or environmental changes to report. U- um, Jordan?” Ollilei gazes to his left at calm as ever Jordan who has his arms crossed and his eyes barely visible under his eyelids. “Creatures,” he mumbles the single word. “O- Oh, right! N- No new creatures or creature dwellings to report, either!” He stammers, blush creeping up on his cheeks as he leans back in his chair while remaining as straight a posture as he is able. Lizx nods, and looks at Kadence. “The peace was rocked off balance from the Krill attack, but we’re handling it quite well. A portion of the village’s houses were destroyed during the attack, so Fon has been collecting wood, and inviting the children to help. The parents seem cautious, but we still have peace.” Lizx nods, then leans forward onto the table and her eyes sink into the center of the table. There's a few moments of uneasy silence before she lets out a short sigh.
“As you all undoubtedly recall, Fern was an Empathic Elf,” She says, her voice steady. Onibi’s eyes show a flicker of attention at the mention of Fern’s name. “We didn’t know much about the Elfin girl, or how she ended up with her Empathic Abilities. However, new information was discovered. I’ll let Lydia explain the rest.” My heart leaps from her unexpected pass to me, quickly sinking once all eyes focus on me. I stand a little straighter, and cross my arms. I set my eyes on Onibi from across the room, her expression remaining unreadable. I focus my attention on my words, taking a silent breath before I start.
“Fern has unfortunately passed away…” Jordan’s eyelids lift slightly, showing more of his now surprised eyes, and Ollilei gasps, his hand quickly coming over his mouth and his eyes wide. “How did she die,” Kamitra asks, her voice has an edge to it, like there’s a cluster of emotions raging inside her that she keeps out of her voice. I turn my gaze to her. “She was stabbed by a Krill Servant’s spear…” Her eyes narrow, her rage escaping slightly from her resentful eyes. “Continue, Lydia,” Lizx tells me. “Yes, um, Fern has a twin. Their name is Onibi,” I look at Onibi, and she remains unmoving. I hesitantly point towards her, and I feel the air around me become less tight as everyone’s eyes lock on Onibi.
Onibi, clearly not too pleased with the sudden attention, sighs. “Fern and I were separated at birth. I was captured and possessed by the Dark Entity, while Fern… well, I don’t know where she went. I just know that she ended up here, and that she is no longer alive.” She pauses, a hint of hesitancy in her eyes as she looks at me across the room. “She doesn’t feel gone, though. I… can still feel her, like she’s somewhere close.” She explains. I see Lizx’s eyebrow raise. “Are you Empathic as well?” She asks, intrigue spiking her voice. Onibi considers her question for a few silent moments. “I’m not sure… I just… I have this feeling. I- I’ve never seen a vision or anything, though.” Lizx turns her body to face Onibi in her chair. She eyes her with heightening intrigue. “Lydia,” she says, pulling my attention back to her. “Yes?”
           “Help Onibi grow their power.” My breathing stops. “U- um, me?” Lizx turns back around and leans her arms on the table again, looking up at me, her expression serious. “Yes. You know more about magic than anybody here.” She pauses. “What's your plan, Lydia?” She asks.
           “Get a Tribe Council Meeting, ensure peace among the Elfish Tribes, restore Ahren's wildlife that was destroyed by the Dark Entity with Kazumi's elemental power, and then get to Freya.” Everyone nods as I explain, and then Onibi stands and approaches the table behind Lizx. “And the box?” Lizx glances at Onibi before looking to me for an explanation. “I found a box with Calinian Rune seals. I am currently trying to decode the runes.” She nods. “When will you be heading for Calia?” She asks. “Once we've gotten what we need from Suna we'll get on the boat that trades with Calia.” Lizx nods, Onibi sits back down on the couch. “When do you plan to request the Tribe Council Meeting,” Jordan's quiet yet calm voice pulls our attention to him. “We'll go this afternoon,” Lizx answers quickly. Jordan's eyes return to the center of the table, showing acknowledgement in his way. “We'll leave at four. Everyone meet at the ____ path(path that connects the tribes). Dismissed.”
           Everyone stands and I walk to the door. I open it, and Kazumi jumps back, wide eyes and a slight blush covering his cheeks. I look down at him with slight confusion. “Kazumi?” His wide eyes stare up at me. “I- I…” he attempts to explain or say something, but he turns on his heels and darts away. “Kazumi!” I exclaim, stepping forward but then stopping myself. Dorian comes to my right and Inara behind him with a slight look of worry reflecting in her bright green eyes. “What happened?” Dorian asks, glancing at the dark hallway before his eyes focus in on me again. “I- I don’t know. I think he was listening in. He might've been startled when I opened the door?” I explain. Inara stares at nothing like she’s in deep thought, worry etched on her face, and a knowing look crosses Dorian’s face. “Yeah, that’s probably it,” he says, but something in me tells me that there’s something else. Dorian is able to read my expression, as always, and he thinks for a moment, reconsidering the situation. “I should go check on him,” I say, turning and following where Kazumi went before Dorian or Inara can say another word.
Just as I emerge from the dark and unlit hallway, I see a cupboard door slam shut in the kitchen, just below the counter, and I assume it was Kazumi. I approach the cupboard, and sit on my knees in front of the cupboard at a small distance.
“Kazumi?” I call towards the cupboard, my voice soft and low.
No sound comes from the cupboard.
Nothing.
“Kazumi, why are you hiding?” I ask, leaning in slightly. I hear some movement from inside the cupboard, but no response. I frown, but press further.
“Hey? Can you hear me,” I ask, keeping my voice as low and calm as possible. “Yeah.” I hear his small voice from inside the cupboard, and my expression lights some. “Why are you hiding?” I ask again. Another long silence, until I hear a small and quiet sigh. “I thought you would be mad at me for eavesdropping…” he admits, his voice riddled with nerves. “Oh, Kazumi, no, of course not. You were only curious, there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s good!” I hear a small breathy giggle from inside the cupboard. “R- really?”
“Yes! You should always be curious, it’s how you learn and live,” I marvel, lost in my thoughts and a smile in my voice. I return to reality, kneeling in front of the cupboard with Kazumi still hiding inside. “You should have said something, we would have absolutely allowed you to join. You’re gonna be in charge of all of Ahren, after all!” My comment gets another giggle out of him, before another silence falls on us.
Then, the cupboard door budges a little, before it slowly opens, Kazumi’s small form appearing inside the cupboard. His blush is still apparent, but it has faded slightly and his lips are lifted in a slight smile. I smile, and reach my hand to hold the top of the cupboard for him to crawl out.
I close the cupboard door, rising on my knees, when suddenly I feel Kazumi’s small arms wrap around my side. I look down, his face lifting and his chin propped vertically on my side as he looks up at me with a shy smile, that really shows his innocence. The way he smiles up at me reminds me of Inara, and I am reminded of just how much Kazumi’s features are alike with his elder sister. I smile warmly back down at him, my hand coming to the top of his head and ruffling up his pastel green hair. His eyes close and his smile widens at my action, and then he steps back and I rise to my feet as the Coren Forest Rangers all emerge from the dark hallway and flow out of the door, Fon smiling and waving happily to me before he exits as well. Dorian appears behind them, and he approaches me and Kazumi. He glances down at Kazumi before his eyes set on mine. “Is he…?” As his words trail off, I know exactly what he’s implying. I nod. “He’s alright,” I look down at Kazumi, my hand on his back. “Kazumi, why don’t you tell him what you wanted.” Kazumi nods up at me, and Dorian crouches down in front of him, now eye level with Kazumi.
“I am sorry for eavesdropping. I just wanted to know what was happening, I got-”
“-curious,” Dorian finishes for him with a knowing smile on his face. Kazumi’s eyes lighten, and he nods quickly. Dorian chuckles. “You are going to be in charge of Ahren while Inara is gone, so you should be involved in Meetings I suppose.” Kazumi giggles, his smile melting my heart. “That's what Lydia said,” he tells him. Dorian looks up at me, with some unreadable look in his eyes, but his smile remains. “Yeah, that sounds like her.” He says, his voice surprisingly appreciative, causing a faint blush to lightly cover my cheeks and my smile widens a bit, becoming slightly awkward. I get the feeling he’s about to tell me something, but I wait and that doesn’t happen.