Chapter 5

THE MANIPULATOR
_____________________

I scramble the pages and look for the face of this Sultan. Is he really the Sultan of Baghdad? or..whatever it is, it is right here. I can feel it.
I saw a list of things that are written one by one. Every chapter has its name.
First chapter was about his birth. It was written ‘Birth of the great Sultan’.
Sounds interesting.
I scramble more pages until I reach the first chapter. I look through the room to find a place to sit. Isn't it weird to not have any chair in a room or a place to sit? I guess it is. But the living room has chairs there. They're a little bit dusty but I can still use them. I ran to the living room. There were many chairs there, but not in that room, weird. I observed many chairs until I found a chair with less dust in it. I cleaned it with a piece of cloth and started reading.
I read, read and read. Why it is so long? Isn't it like about his birth, so why does this writer describe so much how he came to this world?
I read two pages and it's still about his birth. How many pages are there actually? Oh, no! How did he manage to write 5 pages just about his birth? I read the last sentence of that chapter.
It was written-
He’s called the sunset of Baghdad due to his genuine care for his people.
My heart soothed at this sentence, I wonder why. Uncontrollably, my mind forces my hand to reach the last sentence. I am not sure why. But it delighted me. It felt good and- good? delight?
I removed my hand from the paper. How odd of me to feel happy by an unknown Sultan’s success who might have passed away already. I shake my head a little bit and focus on reading it.
As much as I read, I felt more angry at this writer. Does he really have to write all that?
Get. To. The. Main. Point.
But no. He is writing the things that also happened ages ago or something he read ages ago. Listen to the writer of this book, I don't want to hear what happened except for the main part, that is knowing about the king.
I fold the pages with my hand one by one.
I wanted to put that book aside but it felt like a seemingly impossible task. The way the writer writes is annoying, but also it's entertaining in some way. I hate how it feels right now. It feels like I put my sleep away and read this all night. It's frustrating indeed but somehow, it eases my heart.
Right now, I am at the 40 chapters of it. He is an adult now, also a king. He is married to a beautiful princess who is the mother of his child. I wonder about the child’s gender. Is that he or she I wonder?
As I read the book, I felt an ease in my heart. He loved his country so much. He even once said how he wanted to commit his life to enlarge his kingdom. And maybe one of the favorite things I’ve read in this book.
It was written-
“ He looked at his Wazir with narrow eyes. He wondered the question Wazir asked him. Looking at him again he said, “ If I ever get the honor to die here, in my country, in Baghdad, then I would gladly accept it. There is no question in it. The land I am trying to develop is the land I yield.  I vowed my life in it. And till the day I die, I commit myself to this land. ”
His voice deepened as he said the last sentence. I looked into his fierce eyes that no longer looked fierce but a soul who wanted to serve himself to his motherland. At that moment, I knew he was going to be one of the greatest Sultans to ever exist. And I believe there is no question about it. ”
Yeah, I believe too.
I said to him, the writer, even though I know that he wouldn't know that I agreed to his concept. I think I like the author now. His writing is great. I love it. I wonder if he is alive. I wanna read his books, he is not some annoying writer but more of a goof writer who writes a book with understanding the person’s action. He told his opinion and what he said. But if he has any wrong thoughts about a situation he writes about it.
He is a good writer.
I read more, and now I am in chapter 47, and the question I had in my mind about the baby’s gender was revealed.
It was a girl.
But not the name was revealed. He gives suspense in his book and that makes me like his writing more.
I read more.
He revealed the name, Yasmine.
Yasmine.
My name. That's my name. The princess had the same name as mine.
Thud. Thud. Thud.
My heartbeat raced. I could hear.
goosebumps.
Yeah, she had the same name as me. I tell myself it's a coincidence. Of course, it is. Wait, why did I tell that to myself? It is a coincidence. There is no way I am her-
Reincarnation.
I shake my head. Why did I think that? Forget it.
I started reading again. I was in 78 chapters. It was about an oil incident that occurred before too, but the princess insisted as she thought it would make a good impact on the nation. Then 90 chapters, when she declared to the nation to kill her own lover with her own hands.
He was sentenced to death.
Immurement.
He faced punishment. It was immurement.
I scribbled another page. It was written -
“ He was not the killer. The killer was minister Zafar who had been Sultan’s second hand. He was planning his murder all along.
He framed that child. His name is Aladdin, the son of ex-minister Omar and his wife Ruksar. ”
The book ended.
And I was left with questions.