one

Rumors Fly

HER FOOT MET Kyle Davis's ass before her brain could comprehend

HER FOOT MET Kyle Davis's ass before her brain could comprehend. He muttered a string of curse words under his breath as he stumbled down the stoop. She let out a gust of air as she slammed the door behind him. Her time in the morning was often rushed.

The girl dashed up the stairs as quietly as possible since her mother had passed out somewhere. It was best not to poke the bear, it upset Liberty and she didn't want another call being sent to the house about a parent conference.

Liberty was the only other sober person in the house being eight and all. She wasn't actually a relative. Her junkie parents made Delilah's junkie parents her godparent. It's been a year, but it was still clear Liberty was having a hard time adjusting. The Gallagher's helped her a little, but there was only so much they could do when they had their own load of problems.

"Berty, time to get up. Mrs Mooney said if you're late again you'll get a call home," Delilah threatened knowing this'll get the young girl out of bed.

Liberty rose out of bed, her curls in a disarray. There were a few things Delilah had to take care of in the mornings, herself and making sure Liberty's hair was in the best state possible. It was hard and it took a lot of Youtubing and help from Veronica, another neighbor who had been a godsend, but Liberty always looked her best.

"Are we gonna see Ian?" Liberty asked, rubbing her tired brown eyes.

"Yes, but only if you hurry your little butt up," Delilah said with as much patience as possible.

She slipped out of the small bedroom and into her own. Liberty's bedroom was more like a large closet. It was the only thing that could be suitable for her, so the state allowed it. Delilah stole some toys and books, a couple knickknacks, and some bedding to make it more homey. Liberty seemed to like it, but she was hard to read. It was impossible to know what was going on in her head.

After smearing eyeliner on her eyes and quickly applying some mascara, Delilah was out of the house with Liberty, skipping behind her, hand in hand.

The Gallagher house was loud as usual. Mornings were a little chaotic, but it was a free, and sometimes hot, breakfast. There was usually only enough money for peanut butter, bread, milk, and eggs since the rest went to bills at home. Delilah shoveled driveways in the winter and walked dogs whenever she was free. There was a time when her and Lip went around and mowed lawns one summer. That was when she was off at her part-time job at Kash and Grab.

"Hey, Libby," Debbie greeted as she came down the stairs. Her eyes lit up when she saw her little friend, grabbing her by the hand. "You'll never guess what I heard Holly talking about in class yesterday..."

Liberty was whisked away by Debbie, and Delilah followed them into the bustling kitchen.

"Delilah, hey. Hungry?" Fiona quizzed while kneeling in front of the washer.