three

— Guilty By Association

DELILAH TOOK COMFORT from the chaos that was the Gallagher household

DELILAH TOOK COMFORT from the chaos that was the Gallagher household. Her whole life revolved around the events that took place on a day to day basis. Life had squashed her down more than ever recently and she was still standing even if it was with a slight memory of a black eye.

It's been ages since she's really talked to Lip. Liberty and Tracy, Delilah's wretched mother, which became the start of a slow depression. Happiness was like a cherry blossom on a tree, and when winter came, the cold air nipping and turning it's pink leaves into a shriveled brown pile of nothingness.

"Lilah, can you make mommy a pot of coffee?" Tracy's voice came out raspy compared to her usual velvet voice. Her body had been splayed on the sofa while Delilah braided Liberty's hair.

"Yes, mom," Delilah complied as she stood up. Liberty grumbled at her half braided curls. Veronica would usually do it, but Delilah decided she needed to learn.

Delilah went over to the cruddy coffee maker that spat fumes when it was turned on. It practically wheezed.

While shoveling the coffee in the the filter, Delilah observed her mother smoking a cigarette in the living room.

Tracy was once beautiful. Her long thin hair used to be thick and lustrous. Her hair used to be a deep brown, similar to Delilah's. Now it was a brassy blonde that was in desperate need of a bleach and tone.

Her lips parted to reveal her severely damaged teeth. One hit and her beauty dwindled into nothingness. Her frame was less and less full everyday. Her only cravings were coffee and heroin. It crushed Delilah to see her mother succumb to this. It was confusing to a little girl whose father had died. He killed himself when she was three.

Delilah was fucked up, but so was everyone else in her life.

"Enough staring and bring me some coffee, Lilah," Tracy ordered. Her rough voice brought Delilah out of her daydreams. Back to the cold reality that was her life.

Delilah whipped up a cup of coffee and handed it to her mother. She smiled a sickly sweet smile at her before Delilah plopped down on the carpet to braid Berty's hair.

"When's your birthday again, Lilah?" Tracy asked, the nickname making Delilah's head spin.

"April 14th, Tracy," Delilah responded making Tracy sigh. "What?"

"I could've sworn it was tomorrow," Tracy mumbled. Her puzzled look turned into a smirk. "It ain't like it's special. Definitely turning sixteen, but you have been kissed. I know that because you and Kyle—"

"Kyle is an asshat," Liberty budded in. Her high pitched voice cause all eyes to go to her. Delilah smirked at her and back at Tracy.

"You got your mother's filthy fucking mouth. Fucking ingrate. Should've never taken you in. You're get in a gang like your stupid parents, and end up just like 'em," Tracy spat and Delilah rose from her spot on the floor.