|5| person

NIDHI

After my morning walk, I returned to my room and prepared for the day. Before getting ready, I checked the application status of my lectureship on my phone. As I opened it, my attention was drawn to an unseen message from an unknown number. The profile photo featured a man in a tuxedo.

Upon opening the message, he wrote:

"Hi Bhabhi, Adarsh here."

"I thought I'd do you a favor by sending you an awesome photograph."

Below this message, there was an image, initially blurred due to not being downloaded. I proceeded to download it.

Upon seeing the photo, electrifying jolts surged through my body.

My heart raced as I observed him, and a wave of nervousness swept over me, creating a knot in my stomach. The simple act of seeing him triggered an unsettling mix of anticipation and anxiety, leaving me momentarily breathless. Warmth flushed my cheeks, and I felt a sense of shame due to my body's unexpected response. It hadn't even been a month since my painful breakup, and now I found myself drawn to another man.

The man in the photo was Vaibhav, my fiancé, my would-be husband. Dressed in a tuxedo, he stood in the center, Adarsh to his left, and another man to his right, possibly taken after a business deal.

Vaibhav looked incredibly professional. The photo didn't allow me to gauge his height accurately, but he appeared taller than Adarsh. His features were striking, fair complexion, and deep brown eyes that could easily captivate anyone who gazed into them. His robust build and handsome appearance, while not conventional, made him stand out in a crowd. Broad shoulders were accentuated by the well-fitted tuxedo, giving prominence to his physique. His physique appeared well-maintained, not overly exercised but still in good shape.

In the photograph, he wore a serious expression, not a hint of a smile. Lost in thoughts about him, I proceeded to get ready.

_______

A mere week whisked away like a fleeting moment. In the interim, my mother engaged in frequent conversations with Sulekha Aunty, discussing the intricacies of wedding preparations.

Despite the physical distance, they maintained a constant dialogue, exchanging updates on health and well-being. Sulekha Aunty remained in Lucknow during this period.

Excitement filled my mother's words as she shared the news that Sulekha Aunty contemplated expediting my marriage to Vaibhav. The aim was to facilitate their return to Mumbai promptly, given the bustling schedules of Vaibhav and Adarsh.

My mother, buoyed by this prospect, radiated happiness at the thought.

VAIBHAV

My heart skipped a beat when I realized it wasn't my mother on the other end of the call. A hunch about the caller's identity started forming, and the audible sigh she took confirmed my suspicion.

As I observed Adarsh giggling, annoyance surged within me, prompting me to promptly disconnect the call. Before I could even contemplate catching him, he darted out of my bedroom.

Seeking a distraction, I headed to my study to resume the office work I had been doing earlier. As I opened my laptop and delved into the tasks at hand, my thoughts involuntarily drifted back to the phone call with Nidhi.

Her silence spoke volumes, likely fueled by the unconventional nature of our engagement. The entire process had been markedly different from other engagements, and indeed, from how couples in families traditionally come together. While our engagement held a unique flavor, I pondered over the peculiarity of the situation.