Chapter 23

Happy Reading :)

I talked to all my family members all night. We took pictures and ate and drank and laughed. It felt so good to be in this environment with them.

"So, you and Anthony?" Joey started.

"We're just friends." I reiterated for the thousandth time, except my heart wasn't in it this time.

"Sure. Friends throw each other huge parties, invite their family out, all as a surprise." Sarcasm dripped in his voice.

"Really, really, good ones do." I grinned.

"Mom and Dad love him." Joey said.

"They do?" 

"Yeah, he called them up, told us when the graduation is, pretty much orchestrated flights and housing."

"All that?"

"Felix won't tell you but I can tell he's impressed too." 

"I don't need Felix's approval." I said quickly.

"I didn't say approval did I?" Joey said putting his hands up, "I said he was impressed. You know how hard that is."

I rolled my eyes, but was secretly pleased with this information.

"I don't know if that should worry me or not." I joked.

"You know Felix just wants what's best for you. He just has a bad way of showing it." 

"Don't do that please." I could feel myself recoiling at the words, "Don't excuse his behavior." 

"Okay, okay I'm sorry." 

"Thank you." 

"Where do you live now?" Joe asked changing the subject, "I heard you moved out." 

"Wouldn't you like to know." I smirked.

"Yeah Lyd," Came Melvin's voice from behind us, "Where are you staying?" 

"None of your business." I sipped my drink.

"Your pretty friends don't seem to want to tell me either." 

"Stay away from my friends." I glared at him.

"I know I know, I learned my lesson." 

I instantly thought of Lexi, my stomach twisting at the memory of how she betrayed me. Joey saw my eyes go blank and instantly pulled me out of the thoughts. 

"You should tell Mickey to stay away from your roommates." he gestured to my cousin Michael chatting up Anita and Bernie simultaneously

"You guys are animals," I laughed and shook my head. 

I ignored Mickey and walked over to where Felix and Leo were standing having a beer.

"Hi," I smiled sheepishly.

"Hi kid." Leo said and put an arm around me warmly.

"So Lydia, what are your plans now that you've graduated?" Felix asked. 

"Well. I have to go to grad school if I want to be anything in my major, but I want to take a gap year and travel before that." 

Travelling by myself was probably not on Felix's list of post grad activities to expect. I could tell as much from his facial expressions. It was like he was battling with his instinct to frown and forbid me from leaving the house.

I did have to give him credit however as he swallowed whatever he was feeling and asked, 

"Where to?"