Chapter Seven. Hatter

In the Tulgey wood, Still running, I stop to look at the gashes on my arm.

"It looks like you ran afoul of something with wicked claws."

I see the disembodied head of a cat hovering in midair "And I'm still dreaming!"

Cheshire cat asks "What did that to you?"

"Banner or Bander..."

"The Bandersnatch? I'd better have a look." The Cat disappears and then reappears as a whole cat. Chessue is all calm, casual sensuality with a seductive grin. He inspects the wound, and then tries to lick it.

"What are you doing?"

"It needs to be purified by someone with evaporating skills or it will fester and putrefy."

"I'll be fine as soon as I wake up."

"At least let me bind it for you" I allow him to use his handkerchief to bind the wound "What do you call yourself?"

"Alice."

"The Alice?"

"I'm not going into that again!"

"I never get involved in politics. You'd best be on your way."

"What way? All I want to do is wake up from this dream!"

"Fine. I'll take you to the Hare and the Hatter. But that's the end of it." He disappears suddenly. I look around. He reappears ahead "Coming?"

There's nothing else for me to do but follow. The house is part hare/part house. The chimneys are ears. The roof is thatched with fur. The picket fence is rabbit feet, a doorknob a bunny tail. The windows are pink rabbit eyes that look round and blink.

The tea party has been going on for years. The tea set is an odd admixture of cracked pots and chipped cups. The tablecloth is stained and threadbare, and the chairs are lopsided.

The Mad Hatter "Jefferson" slumps in one of them, staring into space, pale and morose. Even his clothes reflect his gloomy mood. He always wears a ragged and scorched Top hat. Paranoid and anxious, the March Hare constantly wrings his paws and long ears. The Dormouse has arrived ahead of me. she wears the Bandersnatch eye at her waist. The Hare/house taps the March Hare on his head.

Marche Hare asks "What? Where? Who's there?"

The Cheshire Cat strolls in with me. 

At the sight of me, the Hatter bolts upright. He brightens, and his clothes even perk up. Transfixed, he moves towards me, the shortest route being across the top of the table. He comes close, studying me intently smiling "Your hair wants cutting... It's you."

I smile not knowing him but he's nice and he holds my hands.

The Dormouse says "No, it's not. McTwisp brought us the wrong Alice."

Jefferson shakes his head looking into my eyes "It's absolutely Alice. You're absolutely Alice!" leans his forehead on mine "My Alice, I'd know you anywhere" to them "I'd know her anywhere." He takes pulls me back over the top of the table. I try not to step on any teacups. He plucks me down in the chair next to his "Well, as you can see we're still having tea. It's all because I was obliged to kill Time waiting for your return" he holds my hand "You're terribly late, you know... naughty. Well anyway, time became quite offended and stopped altogether. Not a tick ever since."

I look at our hand and shyly "Time can be funny in dreams."

"Yes yes, of course. How is everything? you're so quite, Alice it's me"

"I'm sorry but___"

"You say you're in a dream?" I nod and he sighs putting his hand on my cheek "Oh my, they take you to the hospital"