Unstable Ceiling

An old, wooden house was hovering through the galactic space. I was inside that house, grimacing with disgust as I soared around. This place is a total dump! How dare Jedidiah send me here!

I whirled around, about to summon a black hole to get me out of here. Then I paused as I heard an airy laugh echoing in the house. I looked over my shoulder and gasped—there was Felix, spinning by the banisters and smiling with his eyes closed.

The ferret was hugging the White Key, pressing his cheek against it.

I zoomed forward, a determined frown-smile on my face. That White Key was about to be mine.

"Oop!" Felix swerved out of the way before I could snatch the thing. "Ooooh my...Wyatt my pet, at last you've arrived!"

"Felix, give me that Key!" I yowled. "This Worldline is NOT going to waste just because of a wasteful mustelid like you!" I flicked my tail, summoning whips to attempt snatching the Key out of Felix's hands.

But Felix gave a calm, elated grin, slowly and elegant dodging the whips. "Mmm....of course this Worldline shall not perish! Why....life is so precious in this Reality Worldline..." he gave a dreamy, enamored smile as he gazed ahead, holding the White Key against his chest. "...so precious, that it could take care of itself." He flicked his tail and made the White Key shrink—it was now a pendant on a necklace, wrapped around his neck.

I huffed and did a slithery dance, summoning an electric ball and flinging it at the ferret. But a piece of the ceiling fell on the electrical ball, causing it to send a bunch of zaps in every direction—they missed Felix, but struck me. I yowled and sputtered, dodging out of the way as more of the ceiling crumbled beside me.

"Sheesh!" I huffed. "What a total dump!"

Felix grabbed a broken chair leg and did a quick, snakelike dance with his body, causing it to transform into a pink dress. The white ferret gave a calm grin at the dress and spoke in his airy, elated voice. "Ooh my, this would look wonderful on my beloved Adeline," he swished his tail, causing the ripped-up sofa in front of them to transform into a magenta table with white, shiny teacups. "Time to turn this place into a lovely little dollhouse for the both of us!" The ferret spun around the table while holding the dress against his chest.

I watched with disgust, then I also did a quick, snakelike dance. It caused the dress and table to transform back into a broken chair leg and ripped sofa.

Felix stopped and gave a soft gasp, looking saddened as he gazed at the broken leg he was hugging. "Aw...." he murmured. He gently stroked his paw down the broken leg, tilting his head and speaking in his airy, melodramatic tone. "It was so full of life for but a moment..."

I scoffed. "Better that this place stays a dump than whatever you'd turn it into."

A portion of the ceiling broke and a bed fell through, crashing on the floor a short distance from me and Felix.

Felix and I whirled around and saw Zorro and Adriel lying on the bed, their heads raised with startled looks.

Felix put a paw on his mouth and leaned his head back. "Oh dear!" He breathed. "Mmmm, that doesn't look good...."

Another portion of the ceiling broke and a toilet fell through, crashing in front of Zorro and Adriel's bed.

Oswald was sitting on the toilet, reading a textbook on quantum physics.

Oswald jerked his head up from his book, causing his glasses to almost slip off. His eyes looked wilder than normal. "Hu-uh?!" He jerked his head back as he saw Wyatt and Felix staring at him. "Hwaahhhh!" The otter let out a series of unintelligible words and chatters,

I clenched my fists. I turned to see Felix's tail disappearing into a hole in the hallway walls. His airy, excited laugh faded in the distance.

A frown-smile formed on my face. "Don't think hiding in this unstable puke-hole will stop me from catching that Key," I muttered. I zoomed down the hallway and into the hole.