Chapter One: The Stranger in the Alley

Raeph ambled along the sidewalk, hand buried in the big front pocket of his grungy sweatshirt. The silver on the A had rubbed off, leaving the letter just grey. The halo and wings that had decorated the A had peeled away, leaving the fabric underneath exposed, the clean white bearing the shape of the lost wings and halo stark against the filthy no-longer-white sweatshirt. He kicked a styrofoam cup, the trash hopping and rolling away with a skittering sound.

The sun had gone down hours ago, but the city was still bright, the lights of the restaurants, bars, stores, hotels, and casinos casting multicolored rays everywhere in defiance of the darkness.

As he turned at the corner of Olive and Vine, a voice whispered, "Raeph."

He stopped and looked around. The street was empty, despite the lights in the windows. His eyes snagged on the alley across the street, the darkness catching his attention in the midst of the lights.

As he looked, the voice whispered again, "Raeph."

The sound seemed to be coming from the alley. Frowning, he crossed the street and walked into the darkness.

At the end of the alley stood a person, a strange light emitting from behind them, casting their features into shadow.

"Raeph."

Raeph stopped in front of the figure. "Who are you? What do you want?"

"The Father sent me, Raeph."

"Ah. Then, I used to know you, yet I cannot see your face, and your voice is unfamiliar. Who are you?"

"Knowledge of me is lost to you because you are fallen, Raeph. Until you are redeemed, we shall remain strangers. However, my name is unimportant. I come on behalf of the Father. He knows your greatest desire, Raeph. And He would like to offer it to you."

"My greatest desire is to no longer be fallen and return to Heaven."

"He knows."

"Well, it hasn't happened yet, so what is it He's offering?"

"A second chance." The figure held out a scroll. "Fulfill this contract, that your desire may be granted."

Raeph held out both hands, accepting the scroll from the figure.

"Bring Benji along on your journey. Return tomorrow with your tasks complete." The figure disappeared, the light leaving with them, leaving Raeph in darkness.

He looked down at the scroll, red wax sealing it shut, as he exited the alley, then thrust it into his pocket and walked away.

The Second Contractजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें