Chapter Four: Forgiveness

The sun was setting over the city, the neon lights glowing brighter, as Raeph and Benji walked into the alley. They stopped at the dead end, peering around the gloom.

It was empty.

"Now what?" Benji whispered.

"The last item on the list," Raeph replied. He knelt and bowed his head. "Oh, Lord Almighty, Creator of the Universe, I am sorry for sinning against you, and for causing one of your precious children to sin. I have completed the list of tasks you assigned me as my penance. I promise to strive to never sin again. Please, forgive me."

The alley was silent.

Suddenly, a hand reached down and touched Raeph's bowed head. "You are forgiven. Come home." A bright oval of light appeared against the wall.

Raeph stood, his sweatshirt once more gleaming white, the A a polished silver. The halo on the letter's tip almost seemed to glow. "Thank you, Lord. Before I return to your Presence, I must fulfill a promise I made."

"I understand, my child. Complete your promise, and know we are waiting eagerly to welcome you home on your return."

The bright light disappeared, leaving both Raeph and Benji blinking in the sudden darkness.

Raeph held out his hand to Benji. "Come on, Benji. I need to get you home safely. Your mother's waiting."

They left the alley together, then took the bus to Benji's home.

Benji gave Raeph a hug before running inside.

Once the door to the building closed, Raeph turned and disappeared in a flash of light.