Chapter 36: Marco in the Spotlight

Rosa had retreated back to her trailer after an exhausting day that ended with the circus conclave. Along with Marco, they had to field off many accusations and strongly contested views. Fingers pointing at why they were the ones to dethrone Ralph permanently from the Carnival of Curiosity. The accusations were mainly born from Ralph and Marco's battle for the spotlight, the ensembles knowledge that they were cut from the deeds many years ago.

In the quiet solitude of his mother's trailer, Marco felt a surge of anxiety ripple through him, his mind echoing with the tumultuous events of the Circus Conclave. He sought refuge in the familiar haven of Rosa's trailer, the only place where the world felt less overwhelming and echoed with home comforts from Monte Sorrento.

Sitting in the warmly lit space, surrounded by memories of happier times, Marco grappled with the aftermath of the conclave. The atmosphere had been charged with suspicion, glancing stares of suspicion seemed to linger on him and Rosa more than ever.

His mother, Rosa, noticed Marco's troubled expression and sat beside him in her living space, a comforting presence despite the tension in the air. "Marco, it's going to be alright. We'll get through this," she tried to assure him, placing an arm around her son.

Marco sighed, his thoughts swimming with the accusations and doubts that were cast upon them during the gathering. "I just don't know, Mom. They all seem to suspect us now. It feels like everything is falling apart. It feels like it's repeating itself once again." He admitted, his voice heavy with concern.

Rosa understood her son's worry, but her determination shone through. "We have to and we will stay strong. We're innocent, and the truth will prevail," she was still trying to reassure him, trying to infuse him with some semblance of hope amidst the mounting turmoil.

As the late moonlit sky was fading, casting a calm hue over the trailer, Marco did find some solace in his mother's words. Though uncertainty clouded their future, their unwavering bond and torment they have faced together before provided a glimmer of strength and hope in these uncertain times.

It was the weight of the recently found murder weapon being traced back to him was what bore heavily on Marco's mind. He feared the imminent arrival of Detective Black and the ramifications it would bring, especially in the circus community already over brimming with suspicions.

"But Mom, they found the dagger," Marco murmured, his voice solemn. "It's mine. Detective Black will be here soon, and everyone will think I'm guilty."

Rosa's gaze softened as she observed her son's distress. "We have to face this together, Marco. You didn't do anything wrong, and we'll explain everything, I was right the last time and will be again Marco, just you see," she reassured him trying to alleviate his fears.

But Marco's unease lingered, his thoughts racing with worry about the repercussions of the investigation. Mother and son sat in an uneasy silence as they were not in control of the impending interrogation something they were not comfortable with.

Rosa Lombardi turned and faced her son, she grasped his hands firmly, trying to in-still a sense of calm. "Remember, Marco, the detective knows knives and daggers are all part of your act. Anyone can access them in the props truck."

She then began to search her thoughts, trying to think of any information that could divert the detective's focus and attention away from Marco. "Maybe there is something else we missed.... Did you see anyone acting strange around the props truck that night or earlier that day? Or maybe someone had a conflict with Mr Ortiz we were unaware of? Something must come to mind to help steer the investigation away from you?"

Marco raked his mind, recalling the days leading up to the tragedy. "I can't think of anything significant, Mom. Everything seemed normal from recollection, except for the tension between Mr Ortiz and the Bauer twins."

Rosa nodded, understanding the gravity of the situation. "We'll have to trust that Detective Black will consider all angles. If she doesn't then we need to ensure she does. Stay strong, Marco. We will get through this together as we have done it before..." she offered him a reassuring smile with a slightly sinister wink, hoping this would eradicate some of the unease and panic gripping her son.

"What if she finds out about what happened before? Do you think she will find out that Ralph Ortiz is my stepbrother? It feels like everything is falling apart Mom." Marco said with fear in his eyes.

As the long drawn out night came to a close, Rosa and Marco were up against mounting suspicions amongst their fellow performers. Although the conclave was a success in ensuring all grievances were aired and allowed, all the performers could begin to move forward although rumblings of discontent were still apparent.

They knew that diverting attention away from themselves was paramount. The weight of scrutiny casting a dark shadow of their conversations, each fraught with the underlying fear of being wrongly accused. Rosa knew she needed to be unyielding in her search for the truth and the haunting question of "whodunit" lingered in the air.