Chapter 29: Cassie

"I love you." "I know."—The Empire Strikes Back

I love you. Three little words that changed everything. He didn't mean it, he couldn't possibly mean it. He was just so hyped about winning that game that he said it, he probably wouldn't even remember. I wanted to believe it, I wanted to say it back, but that would make things too real.

We only had a few months left before we both left Seaport to live out our dreams. After winning the championship, I had no doubt he'd have his pick of NHL teams if the Leafs didn't sign him, and I'd be most likely in Boston. I wasn't making any official decisions yet but come on MIT. You don't just turn down MIT.

I was overthinking absolutely everything while waiting for Hayden and the team to get back. There was absolutely no part of me that wanted to have a serious conversation about us right now, I hadn't even told him about MIT yet. I wanted to just celebrate and be happy and not discuss love and inevitably the what comes next conversation, so when Maddie, who was dating one of the guys on the team texted a group of us about having a celebratory party waiting at the hockey house when the guys got back, I jumped at the opportunity.

If we were at a party celebrating their win, it'd be so loud and hectic that we couldn't have a serious conversation, and it'd be fun. Was it awful of me to avoid talking about it, yes. However, I knew there wouldn't be anything good coming out of it. So what if we did maybe potentially actually love each other? Neither of us could or really wanted to prioritize each other. School had to come first for me, the work I'd be doing next year would be everything I'd ever dreamed of, and I couldn't afford to be distracted by a long-distance relationship with a hockey player. As much as a part of me wanted to be. I'd almost thrown away everything for a guy before, I wouldn't let myself do it again. Even if Hayden and Steven were two completely different people and relationships, it wasn't that different of a situation.

So when Hayden and the rest of the guys pulled up to the Hockey House after getting back from the airport, I knew they'd have to stop by because they always carpooled, and an awesome party was waiting for them. We'd gathered a large chunk of the school and had lined up on the block, and as cheesy as it was, we cheered as they drove back.

Hayden and the rest of the guys had gotten out of their cars, and he'd looked around till he spotted me standing on the porch next to Maddie and a few of the other girlfriends of the team, he immediately walked over and picked me up in a bear hug, spinning me around and off the steps of the porch.

"You have no idea how much I've missed you," he says pressing his head against mine as he sets me down.

I smile up at him, "I know we had plans, but when Maddie texted about the celebration party I couldn't refuse, and I figured you wouldn't mind."

"No are you kidding, this is amazing. God I have everything I could've ever wanted, I mean at this rate even if the Leafs don't sign me, I'll probably have my pick of teams."

"They're going to sign you," I say defiantly looking him straight in the eye.

"Still, if they didn't maybe I'd be able to sign with a team close to where you'll be. Wherever that is."

My heartbeat stops for a moment. That would be everything, if Hayden was able to sign with Boston, we could be together. We wouldn't have to break up, I mean it was definitely a long shot, but then this whole mess of a thing wouldn't have to be temporary.

"Don't get my hopes up," is all I say laughing in response, "Come on let's go get something to drink."

He grabs my hand and leads me into the house, we get stopped by at least five people on our way to grab drinks congratulating him on such a great season. He looks happier than I've ever seen him. It's like the weight that he had on his chest all season has finally been lifted and he can relax at least a little bit now, I know he won't fully relax until he knows where he'll be playing next year.