Cancer

As a child, I was always curious about the outside world. As such, reading compendiums about the animal species would bring any hope of living outside, if there was any. I would dream of being in a vast grim forest with paved paths. I was always unsuccessful in walking down these paths. 

There was always a crow and a wolf-like creature. The crow would observe and pronounce my presence to this wolf.  I would be extirpated within seconds.  Growing older, I would acquire a higher being in this plain of dreams. Running was my only other option.  Many times would my life be taken. Outside of my dreams, I progressively became more and more destructive and less fearful. This allowed me to employ tactics inside my dreams.

At the age of 10, I would be able to compromise the wolf's life using a feigned retreat. The dreams thereafter were the same plan. After killing the wolf, I would be able to explore for a limited amount of time gradually increasing. Over time, I analyzed the relationship between the crow and the wolf. If one died, the other would also. It was a parasite.

Exploring the paths would lead to a body of red water.

Hands of various sizes would break through the water. Voices of the unrecognizable would inch me inside, grasping me closer until I was knee deep.

Hands would grip my face and body, submerging me deep within. A taste of iron would be present once I woke up.  

I ventured various paths, but it all would eventually lead back to the red lake. 

...

Today, I was being promoted. My coworkers were surprised by this announcement. Their surprise is understandable. It's only my third month working in this facility.  I would be relocated to a different sector allocated to the research of anomalies. 

I would have to turn in my level 1 keycard within the next hour at the security checkpoint. Failing in so, would result in apprehension. 

 I already concluded my reason for such a fast promotion. They either want to dispose of me or bring me to a greater field of science for testing.

I was now standing in front of the security checkpoint. Handing them my security card, I stood by watching them place the card inside a machine, before a loud beep retraced throughout the air, and a glistening light showed the machine's interface.

"Here." Nodding my head, I grabbed the now updated security card. 

Opening the doors, I ventured onward.

My first thought was the quietness. It was very quiet with the occasional conversation reaching a higher pitch.

My first task was to enter a anomaly housing. 

Looking at a sign I saw my assigned objective. 109-B.

Swiping the card against the reader, I heard a beep before a churning of the doors opening roared throughout my ears. 

"Ah! There's the promoted one!" A voice filled with enthusiasm abruptly. He was the researcher directing this test. My senior.

"Hello. My name is Ayanoko-" Midway through my introduction, I was interrupted by another researcher who looked to be in his midlife crisis.

"Everyone here knows who you are, so let's get this started. You're early, so we'll have to wait for the test subjects. In the meantime, observe 914." 

*Haah* 

Complying, I looked at the contraption.

This anomaly or 914 per se, was a metallic clockwork machine that looked to measure just under the length of a shipping container with two doors on opposite ends of each other facing the entrance. The anomaly itself had springs and gears throughout linked to a knob which turned shows various levels. These levels go from Rough; Coarse, 1:1, Fine, and Very Fine. From my observation, I would guess this SCP classing would be regarded as safe.